TN: New Tablas Creek Release...(long/boring)

We tried these last Fri at Pig+Fig the New TablasCreek releases:

1. TablasCreekVnyd Vermentino AdelaideDist/PasoRobles (12.5%; Frmtd: SS) PasoRobles 2020: Med.yellow color; very fragrant Verm/carnations slight chalky/mineral/spicy very aromatic lovely nose; fairly tart almost grapefruity quite floral/carnations/Verm light chalky/mineral very aromatic balanced lively flavor; very long/lingering lightly tart/tangy light-bodied very Verm/floral/carnations light stony/mineral finish; a very lovely very perfumed Verm almost R-like in character; not the minerality of Liguria or Piemonte Verm/Pigato but a very pretty easy-drinking white that should put on weight over the next yr or so; great price at $27.00/$21.60 (VINSider)

1. TablasCreekVnyd Roussanne AdelaidaDist/PasoRobles (12.5%; Frmtd/Aged: 9 mo. in small wood/large foudres/SS) 2019: Med.light gold color; bit quiet rather floral/honeysuckle/gardenias/tropical fruit slight mineral bit closed/shy nose; fairly tart fairly rich closed/tight/quiet some floral/Rouss/honeysuckle/light tropical fruit slight mineral/chalky flavor; long lightly floral/honeysuckle/Rouss lightly tart bit rich/well-bodied light mineral finish; a bit on the shy/closed side right now but should put on weight over the next yr & greatly improve. $40.00/$32.00 (VINSider)

1. TablasCreekVnyd Dianthus Rose AdelaideDist/PasoRobles (14.0%; 48% Mourv/37% Grenache/15% Counoise; Frmtd dry in SS) 2020: Med. watermelon/bit orange color; rather fragrant/strawberry/cranberry bit floral/rose petal very pretty nose; lightly tart fairly strong strawberry/cranberry/bit plummy somewhat rich rather floral flavor; very long strong cranberry/plummy/floral/strawberry lightly tart finish; the Mourv gives it a strong/richer character than most Grenache roses; an easy-drinking rose. $30.00/$24.00 (VINSider)

1. TablasCreekVnyd LeComplice AdelaideDist/PasoRobles (13.5%; 60% Syrah/25% Grenache/15% TerretNoir) 2018: Rather dark color; strong blackberry/plummy/bit strawberry/spicy slight earthy quite aromatic nose; lightly tart blackberry/plummy/Syrah/slightly floral light oak bit earthy flavor w/ light soft tannins; very long bit tart slightly hard/tannic some Rhonish/smokey fairly blackberry/Syrah/spicy/slight strawberry bit aromatic/floral finish w/ modest hard tannins; speaks mostly of Syrah w/ a floral/spicy perfume; the Grenache seems pretty quiet; needs a few yrs of age yet; a bit pricey for what it is. $55.00/$44.00 (VINSider)

1. TablasCreekVnyd Tannat AdelaideDist/PasoRobles (13.5%) 2018: Very dark/near black color; very strong blackberry/boysenberry/licorice/plummy/pungent some toasty/smokey/oak very intense nose; slightly tart quite big/structured/tannic intense blackberry/boysenberry/pungent/licorice huge fruit slight earthy light toasty/oak flavor w/ strong chewey tannins; very long/lingering intense blackberry/boysenberry/Tannat/licorice/pungent slight earthy some toasty/oak bit complex finish w/ ample hard tannins; badly needs age; blows away any Uruguay Tannats and better than any Madiran Tannat I can recall; an atypically huge wine for TCV; this is how TCV would make Saxum red in PasoRobles if they could; terrific expression of Tannat w/o the rustic character they often show. $40.00/$32.00 (VINSider)

1. TablasCreekVnyd Panoplie AdelaideDist/PasoRobles (64% Mourv/24% Syrah/12% Grenache; 13.5%) 2018: Very dark color; very fragrant strong plummy/Mourv/blackberry/Syrah light pencilly/toasty/oak rather complex some Rhonish/roasted/smokey lovely nose; lightly tart strong plummy/Mourv/blackberry/Syrah bit floral/violets light pencilly/oak some complex flavor w/ modest smooth tannins; very long/lingering very strong plummy/Mourv/blackberry/Syrah/slight earthy/dusty rather fragrant/perfumed/floral light pencilly/oak slight Rhonish/smokey some complex finish w/ modest smooth tannins; a lovely well-made complex Rhone; doesn’t show the Grenache as much as the Esprit Rouge; not sure it’s worth the premium over the Esprit, which ages beautifully. $95.00/$76.00 (VINSider)

And tasted earlier:

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Roussanne: The '18 Rouss was released last Fall but not a VINSider shipment I don’t believe. TCV put it on special in Feb, we tried it, and was blown away by it. Ordered two more cases of it. This just-released '19 is a lot quieter than the '18 and seems a bit tight/closed. Jason is big on their '19’s, and I suspect by next Fall this was be another outstanding TCV Rouss.

1. Another very good/solid TCV release. The Vermentino and the Tannat were the big hits.
    The TCV VINSider Club is one of my favorite clubs I belong to. Every month, they offer a monthly special that is heavily discounted. Several times a yr they offer $10 flat-rate shipping (as in April here), so you can make out like a bandit. Every night when I go to bed and “Now I Lamy down to sleep…”, I am overwhelmed by guilt for continuing to rip off TCV for such good wines at great prices.
    Tom
1 Like

Thanks for the comprehensive notes, my friend. Looks like another round of wonderful releases indeed!

Cheers

Thanks for this Tom! The Le Complice release has been one of my favorites in their current line up, alongside the En Gobelet. To the best of my knowledge, this is one of the few wines that Tablas Creek does any whole cluster with, which adds more lift and floral notes - although contributes more tannin as you know. I think it’s a fine bottling, although I too was surprised by the price - for some reason I thought it was more in the $36~ range. Personally I’d like to see them do more whole cluster to give the wines some lift as many Paso reds can be quite heavy and dense on the nose - and generally speaking could use a bit more structure too (even the Tablas wines). So I’m excited to see where this particular wine goes and if they continue to add more stems to the rest of the line up if these show well over time.

A couple years ago, the Le Complice list price was $50. Depending membership in their clubs or whether it was reordered after being part of a shipment, that could been ordered for $35-$40.

-Al