winebid german lots 4/4

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Robert Dentice
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

winebid german lots 4/4

#1 Post by Robert Dentice »

anyone know anything about all of the German wines up for auction this week? it is bizarre that so many have cork and capsule issues? capsule issues don’t normally scare me with German wine unless the entire collection has it which this appears to.

I did not have time to call winebid this week.
ITB - source | material

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: winebid german lots 4/4

#2 Post by maureen nelson »

And $195 for 01 Prum WS spatlese?

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by maureen nelson »

Lots of 1998 M-C auslesen for those who need to backfill...

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

maureen nelson wrote: April 4th, 2021, 4:43 pm And $195 for 01 Prum WS spatlese?
For $195 I will open two bottles of mine, and cook dinner.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by maureen nelson »

Yeah I thought the pricing crazy

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Mark Golodetz »

maureen nelson wrote: April 4th, 2021, 4:43 pm And $195 for 01 Prum WS spatlese?
Crazy, but not unexpected. I felt and mentioned in an old thread that Prum wines are way undervalued.
ITB

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by maureen nelson »

Well you don’t need to drive up the price!

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Mark Golodetz »

I have done my bit. Now I am just a spectator. Prum prices will just have to escalate without me.
ITB

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#9 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Prum is awesome, no doubt. But I could start a thread asking for "Prum replacements" and would likely get twenty to fifty different suggestions. Prum isn't so much better than everyone else that they deserve stratospheric pricing while most everyone else continues to exist in sane territory. YMMV.

That said, release pricing is still reasonable.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

Mike Evans
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#10 Post by Mike Evans »

maureen nelson wrote: April 4th, 2021, 4:49 pm Lots of 1998 M-C auslesen for those who need to backfill...
I’m not sure whether to thank you or curse you. I was almost out of the Rieslaner Auslese and couldn’t resist restocking.

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by maureen nelson »

Mike Evans wrote: April 4th, 2021, 8:25 pm
maureen nelson wrote: April 4th, 2021, 4:49 pm Lots of 1998 M-C auslesen for those who need to backfill...
I’m not sure whether to thank you or curse you. I was almost out of the Rieslaner Auslese and couldn’t resist restocking.
I figured they would be snatched up by a Disorderly. Almost grabbed them myself but I do still have a smattering of 98s from M-C.

Jay Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#12 Post by Jay Miller »

Not sure if you were the one who outbid me on my 3 bottles [swearing.gif] . I wasn't watching on Sunday so I just saw the outbid notice on Monday. I would like to "thank" Maureen, Robert, et al who drew attention to the lots.

No worries, the last thing I need is more wine. More 1998 MCs perhaps, but no more wine. I see no need to reconcile those two viewpoints. I did manage 3 of the MCGMRA.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#13 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Jay Miller wrote: April 5th, 2021, 6:22 pm
Not sure if you were the one who outbid me on my 3 bottles [swearing.gif] . I wasn't watching on Sunday so I just saw the outbid notice on Monday. I would like to "thank" Maureen, Robert, et al who drew attention to the lots.

No worries, the last thing I need is more wine. More 1998 MCs perhaps, but no more wine. I see no need to reconcile those two viewpoints. I did manage 3 of the MCGMRA.
Should I be troubled that I know what that acronym means?
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Mike Evans
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#14 Post by Mike Evans »

Sorry Jay, that was me (or ME to use my WB handle). I didn’t look at the bids until this morning and thought it might have been you, which made me feel a little bad. I passed on the MCGMRAs though.

It’s funny, the last time I bought 1998 MC from Winebid I also outbid someone I knew. About 20 years ago I outbid Randy “Bucko” Buckner for several 375ml bottles of Mußbacher Eselshaut Riesling Eiswein. The winning bid, IIRC, was $25/bottle. HGS’s 1998 MCs are just so good.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Mark Golodetz »

Saw a few bottles offered at $195, but did any sell?
ITB

Marshall Manning
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#16 Post by Marshall Manning »

Mike Evans wrote: April 5th, 2021, 6:45 pm It’s funny, the last time I bought 1998 MC from Winebid I also outbid someone I knew. About 20 years ago I outbid Randy “Bucko” Buckner for several 375ml bottles of Mußbacher Eselshaut Riesling Eiswein. The winning bid, IIRC, was $25/bottle. HGS’s 1998 MCs are just so good.
Do you still keep in contact with the old fogey? Lost contact with him a few years back, so just wondered how he was doing.
Marshall

Mike Evans
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17 Post by Mike Evans »

Marshall Manning wrote: April 5th, 2021, 7:28 pm
Mike Evans wrote: April 5th, 2021, 6:45 pm It’s funny, the last time I bought 1998 MC from Winebid I also outbid someone I knew. About 20 years ago I outbid Randy “Bucko” Buckner for several 375ml bottles of Mußbacher Eselshaut Riesling Eiswein. The winning bid, IIRC, was $25/bottle. HGS’s 1998 MCs are just so good.
Do you still keep in contact with the old fogey? Lost contact with him a few years back, so just wondered how he was doing.
Sorry, no, I haven’t “seen” him since I took a several year hiatus from all online wine activity about 15 years ago.

Jay Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#18 Post by Jay Miller »

Marshall Manning wrote: April 5th, 2021, 7:28 pm
I was just wondering the same thing. A name from the past, probably at least a decade since I heard anything from/about him.

And again Marshall, no need for apologies or guilt. I've noticed after the fact that I've outbid you on winebid lots as well so turnabout is fair play.

And I really, really don't need more wine. That MCMERE was great stuff and for years it showed up at auction at those ridiculously low prices.

Jay Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#19 Post by Jay Miller »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: April 5th, 2021, 6:28 pm

Should I be troubled that I know what that acronym means?
Doesn't everyone? At least everyone that matters? [cheers.gif]

Marshall Manning
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#20 Post by Marshall Manning »

Jay Miller wrote: April 6th, 2021, 5:05 am I was just wondering the same thing. A name from the past, probably at least a decade since I heard anything from/about him.

And again Marshall, no need for apologies or guilt. I've noticed after the fact that I've outbid you on winebid lots as well so turnabout is fair play.

And I really, really don't need more wine. That MCMERE was great stuff and for years it showed up at auction at those ridiculously low prices.
No big deal, Jay. I used to have a list of wine friends on Winebid that I wouldn't bid against, but lost it long ago and didn't buy much on Winebid for 5-6 years so don't remember except for a few PDX wine friends.
Marshall

Eric Sch

#21 Post by Eric Sch »

I'm sure a bunch of us were bidding against each other, it got hectic near the end. I only intended to top up a case but ended up with another case on top of that. Such is Riesling.
$ ¢ ħ ω έ ŋ τ Ʃ ɍ
"Cristal's out schoolboy... make it a magnum of Grande Dame and I'll think about it."

RMann
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#22 Post by RMann »

Hi all, thanks for the comments and shout out, and glad you all were able to win some awesome wines. Really appreciate your patronage and participation.
Russ Mann, CEO WineBid

Return to “Wine Talk”