winebid german lots 4/4

anyone know anything about all of the German wines up for auction this week? it is bizarre that so many have cork and capsule issues? capsule issues don’t normally scare me with German wine unless the entire collection has it which this appears to.

I did not have time to call winebid this week.

And $195 for 01 Prum WS spatlese?

1 Like

Lots of 1998 M-C auslesen for those who need to backfill…

For $195 I will open two bottles of mine, and cook dinner.

Yeah I thought the pricing crazy

Crazy, but not unexpected. I felt and mentioned in an old thread that Prum wines are way undervalued.

Well you don’t need to drive up the price!

I have done my bit. Now I am just a spectator. Prum prices will just have to escalate without me.

Prum is awesome, no doubt. But I could start a thread asking for “Prum replacements” and would likely get twenty to fifty different suggestions. Prum isn’t so much better than everyone else that they deserve stratospheric pricing while most everyone else continues to exist in sane territory. YMMV.

That said, release pricing is still reasonable.

I’m not sure whether to thank you or curse you. I was almost out of the Rieslaner Auslese and couldn’t resist restocking.

2 Likes

I figured they would be snatched up by a Disorderly. Almost grabbed them myself but I do still have a smattering of 98s from M-C.

1 Like

Not sure if you were the one who outbid me on my 3 bottles [swearing.gif] . I wasn’t watching on Sunday so I just saw the outbid notice on Monday. I would like to “thank” Maureen, Robert, et al who drew attention to the lots.

No worries, the last thing I need is more wine. More 1998 MCs perhaps, but no more wine. I see no need to reconcile those two viewpoints. I did manage 3 of the MCGMRA.

Should I be troubled that I know what that acronym means?

Sorry Jay, that was me (or ME to use my WB handle). I didn’t look at the bids until this morning and thought it might have been you, which made me feel a little bad. I passed on the MCGMRAs though.

It’s funny, the last time I bought 1998 MC from Winebid I also outbid someone I knew. About 20 years ago I outbid Randy “Bucko” Buckner for several 375ml bottles of Mußbacher Eselshaut Riesling Eiswein. The winning bid, IIRC, was $25/bottle. HGS’s 1998 MCs are just so good.

Saw a few bottles offered at $195, but did any sell?

Do you still keep in contact with the old fogey? Lost contact with him a few years back, so just wondered how he was doing.

Sorry, no, I haven’t “seen” him since I took a several year hiatus from all online wine activity about 15 years ago.

I was just wondering the same thing. A name from the past, probably at least a decade since I heard anything from/about him.

And again Marshall, no need for apologies or guilt. I’ve noticed after the fact that I’ve outbid you on winebid lots as well so turnabout is fair play.

And I really, really don’t need more wine. That MCMERE was great stuff and for years it showed up at auction at those ridiculously low prices.

Doesn’t everyone? At least everyone that matters? [cheers.gif]

No big deal, Jay. I used to have a list of wine friends on Winebid that I wouldn’t bid against, but lost it long ago and didn’t buy much on Winebid for 5-6 years so don’t remember except for a few PDX wine friends.