Hyper Decanting - Use a Blender to Aerate Wine!

I’m not recommending this, but saw this article from Williams Sonoma and thought I’d share it for the chuckles and eye rolls: Use a Blender to Make Your Wine Taste Better (Yes, Really) - Williams-Sonoma Taste

I see they are using inexpensive reds, but I use my Vitamix for too many things that could leave their own scent to consider it.

I thought this had to be an April Fool’s post, but it is dated March 26…

1 Like

For about $11 you can buy a battery powered milk frother that can aerate a glass or a decanter in seconds.

1 Like

Yes, but not from Williams-Sonoma. :wink:

At an offline many years ago, after several bottles were consumed, my attention was drawn to a blender on the counter. Half a bottle in the blender, on high for about five seconds and… the wine was completely ruined. It’s been over a decade so I don’t remember exactly what it tasted like but it was pretty bad. It definitely made the wine worse.

2 Likes

Yeah, at a blind tasting many years ago one couple brought a wine that had been put into a blender per the recommendation of the winery owner. It finished last, by a considerable margin. I wasn’t ever going to trust that winery owner again. Why do people even consider things like this. Just let the wine be and open up over time.

Take a partial bottle, put the cork back in it, and shake the bottle.

The Good Ole Redneck De-Cant

Wasn’t that the Mollydooker method?

1 Like

The Mollydooker Shake

1 Like

They riff on this in the HBO show SUCCESSION. All of the characters on the show are monsters and one of them hyperdecants his wines.

That’s it. The mollydooker method sounds like some sort of half assed birth control

Hyperdecanting was originally from nathan myhrvold, the former CTO for microsoft.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2011-09-22/how-to-decant-wine-with-a-blender

I’ve seen this done with young pinot in a respected tasting room (not naming names). Shocking at first, but the methodology makes sense if the intent is to whip an incredible amount of air into wine as quickly as possible. I assume they had the blender expressly for this purpose and it wasn’t also used to make smoothies for the employees or anything [cheers.gif]

Or you can just show some patience . . .

Cheers

I’m just not going to put any of my wine in a blender. Not going to do it. Nope.

A friend suggested this with a young, tannic red we had opened at his house. With reservations about shearing forces on wine components, I suggested he only do a part of the bottle for a second or two. It was destroyed by the blender. Lesson learned.

F

Why not? Any evidence that it doesn’t work? Why not try it?
This is not a novel technique, by the way. Modernist Cuisine described it 10 years ago. They say they actually did the science (A-B taste tests) that support it.

This is so 1990s!!! Whats decades old is new …
I heard about some Las Vegas Somms doing it and shortly afterward it came up in a discussion with a tasting room manager at Beringer.
Good luck, as it never caught on for some reason!

Yes, here Hyperdecanting Archives - Modernist Cuisine