Cellar Build - Charlotte area

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
ChrisW

Cellar Build - Charlotte area

#1 Post by ChrisW »

Calling all my fellow Charlotte/LKN area Beserkers. New house has a basement with a framed out room that speaks to me "wine cellar". Torn between buying another fridge or taking the plunge to build. Any recommendations of firms in the area focused on cellar construction would be much appreciated. A search of this board came up with some great info on other cities, just none for CLT that I could find.

Thanks in advance..
<@rv@n@

kgottehrer

Re: Cellar Build - Charlotte area

#2 Post by kgottehrer »

Steve Shonts did mine and did a great job.

https://www.shontswinecellars.com/
Kevin Gottehrer

Glenn P

#3 Post by Glenn P »

Steve Shonts also did mine. Very happy!
P e r r y

Jason Crawford

#4 Post by Jason Crawford »

I work in LKN and live during the week on Lake Wylie. Weekends, I'm CHS. I have a big over priced custom cellar that I rarely pull bottles out. A lot of times I'm buying from local vendors for weekends or parties. My cellar is fabulous, but is it worth it? My advice is to to look at your consumption and determine wether you want a pretty space or do you want to age wines at a reasonable cost. Maybe both? We have some good places to get some drinkable wines without having to cellar over time.

Jeff Loftus

#5 Post by Jeff Loftus »

I haven’t used him personally, so this is not a recommendation, just another option for you to research. I follow on Instagram and he seems to do good work. https://www.winecellarsofthecarolinas.com/about-me/

John S

#6 Post by John S »

I live in NC but not Charlotte. I put a cellar in here and have done it quite a few times elsewhere. A wine cellar is a pretty basic space with a few special needs. It does not require a special contractor but does required that one person involved can specify exactly what is needed or specify the goals. I.e. framing, insulation (closed cell is best and serves as vapor barrier), vapor barrier, cooling, and racking. If you want someone to turn key it for you or it is something with a bunch of glass, you'll likely want a builder with experience but not that common.

I hired an electrician, drywall guy, insulation guy, and handyman to completely do ours. The handyman did the framing and assembled the redwood racking. A good commercial HVAC guy is key to specify the cooling unit desired. We are using a ductless mini split (with coolbot) which is super quiet, steady at 55 degrees, and zero service in 7 years.

Good luck!
John Sprow

ChrisW

#7 Post by ChrisW »

Appreciate all the feedback folks.
John S wrote: April 4th, 2021, 11:39 am I live in NC but not Charlotte. I put a cellar in here and have done it quite a few times elsewhere. A wine cellar is a pretty basic space with a few special needs. It does not require a special contractor but does required that one person involved can specify exactly what is needed or specify the goals. I.e. framing, insulation (closed cell is best and serves as vapor barrier), vapor barrier, cooling, and racking. If you want someone to turn key it for you or it is something with a bunch of glass, you'll likely want a builder with experience but not that common.

I hired an electrician, drywall guy, insulation guy, and handyman to completely do ours. The handyman did the framing and assembled the redwood racking. A good commercial HVAC guy is key to specify the cooling unit desired. We are using a ductless mini split (with coolbot) which is super quiet, steady at 55 degrees, and zero service in 7 years.

Good luck!
John - Was thinking this route but 1) didn't know where to start and 2) don't know if the $ savings is worth the time, hassle of PM'ing such a project. Very helpful with #1, thanks. If you had to ballpark #2 from a cost perspective only, what would you estimate % savings would be (time and opportunity cost not included, cold cash only)?
<@rv@n@

Karl K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Karl K »

Tim from Wine Cellars of the Carolinas is an option.
K a z a k s

Return to “Wine Talk”