TN: 2001 Arrowood Cabernet Sauvignon Réserve Spéciale

The color was a very dark red with little bricking on the edges. The palate was tannic but not mouth puckeringly dry, with balanced acidity that made it really pleasant to drink. Pure California in style. Red fruits dominated along with a bit of cedar and tobacco.

This was my last bottle, bought on release at the winery one afternoon when I blew off a conference I was attending in Sonoma to hit some wineries. It did not disappoint. The wine is mature but still in its secondary stages of life to where it will stay for at least another 7-10 years. If I can find some properly stored bottles, I would certainly buy more. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Who owned Arrowood then?? Dick?? Mondavi? KJ??

I believe Dick did.

He just sold Amapola Creek.

According to this Mondavi bought Arrowood in 2000, then sold it to the ill fated Legacy Group after Constellation bought Mondavi.

Very cool. I just pulled my only one to have at some point this year with local oenophiles, after a few more of us get vaxxed!

Thanks John. This is a name I haven’t seen much of lately. I remember going through quite a few bottles of the superb 1997 as well. Classic stuff in my opinion.

1 Like

The winery was sold, but Richard stayed with Arrowood until 2010, probably heavily involved in the 2001.

-Al

1 Like

I still have 3 bottles, and they are special to me. I bought some 2012, 2013 and 2014 to see if they’ve kept the same traditional style.

This has been a great line, I haven’t had any in years.

Great note for a past classic!

We bought some of the 2004 when Bevmo was blowing them out for under $25 several years ago. They were very nice!

Ed

People who don’t like Napa prices ask me where to look. I say, just cross the county line to Sonoma. Many excellent wines from many different regions.