Tenting for termites... what to do with my wine?

I almost 900 bottles of wine at my office. The bottles are on the floor waiting for their final storage destination. We have a termite problem and have to get tented. The termite people say the is no big deal. I feel like I should move them. Has anybody else dealt with this problem? What should I do?

Going from the hip- you would never regret moving them.

1 Like

There have been other threads about this.

In short, I moved mine. Royal pain in the ass but gave me peace of mind.

They may assure you there is no way for any gas to infiltrate etc. They may even be correct but the whole thing just made me very nervous …

1 Like

Yep thanks. Ugh! You’re supposed to say leave them, everything will be ok! But i believe you are right.

Tent within a tent? I might just get a couple large plastic tarps. One under the boxes and one over. Tape together all around.

Could also use some of those mattress bags for moving. Some are waterproof with an adhesive closure… A few king size bags would probably do the job.

The termites might try to hide in the oaky wines.

I have very high confidence that everything would be fine. Unless this was just a good excuse to move them into a place you want them long term, I wouldn’t bother, especially if you are going to move them right back into your office.

Btw, I’ve been meaning to consult you on whatever it is you do at this office, where is it exactly? :wink:

900 bottles on the floor? If moving isn’t ideal right now, I’d buy 10 rolls of glad wrap and recruit my wife/ kids/ a friend and spend less than an hour to ‘shrink-wrap’ over the top of each bottle that has a cork. Wouldn’t bother with anything screw-capped. Wait a few days post tenting, then wear nitrile gloves and remove plastic wrap. A few bucks and maybe an hour of labour to make sure the corks stay away from the poison.

Pretty sensible idea. But especially on a public real names forum, the max conservative view will be the one you see the most and the most emphatically.

I say “leave them, everything will be ok.” Having said that and piggybacking /King-Solomoning other suggestions, why not get some painter plastic dropcloths, usually come 9’ x 12’ in various thicknesses. The thin ones (0.7ml) will be probably be adequate; cover your wine and then dispose of afterward.

The wine?

I think this would take more than an hour.

Nah, not with a roll of shrink wrap used for palletizing goods

That will be easy - won’t need to wrap each individually, can do groups of 4, 6, whatever

Why each bottle? Just put bottles in boxes of 6 or 12 bottles and wrap every box with multiple layers. Takes a lot less time and wrap.

In time.

I say suck it up and get those bottles out of there! Are you really going to risk thousands of dollars just to save a few hours of moving some bottles?! Not to mention the ulcer you’re going to get every minute the wine is under that termite tent. And, every time you open one of those bottles you’ll be wondering: Is this wine as good as it should be? Am I poisoning myself right now? Do I detect a hint of bug-bomb on the nose? If you bought 9000 bottles of wine, you have the means to rent a U-Haul. Go to your local wine shop, take all the empty cardboard wine cases they have, put your wine in them, throw them in the back of the U-Haul, and put it in a nice cool parking garage for a day or two. It’s not worth the (small) chance of ruining your wine or drinking poison! If you want to save time, enlist a few friends to help and treat them to a nice bottle of wine afterwards. At least that’s what I would do.

Saran Wrap is BS based on googling this topic. The gas would get around any tarps, Saran Wrap etc. you can bag stuff but it would have to be in special bags. This source seems pretty helpful: http://halekamaoleaoao.org/2016_hk_tenting_notice.pdf
No idea why wine bottles would need to stored on the side.
Mostly, I’d like to thank you for putting my procrastination in moving new shipments to storage into perspective.

I don’t know if that treatment is the same as bed-bugs then heat is involved. I would move everything…

I would move the wine. I’m not saying that’s the right answer. I’m just saying that’s what I would do.

This is exactly what I was thinking…but did not know the words. Weird…this is spot on.