Cellar dust

So, it turns out searching this topic is complicated by an unexpected preponderance of the use of the term dust in tasting notes!?

A portion of my cellar is a passive, fairly open space with racking (much of which is 2 bottles deep). The area seems to be prone to accumulating lots of dust, much of which is collecting on the bottles. I am not terribly alarmed by this but wondering if anyone has developed any low or no-cost hacks to eliminate the issue.

I stumbled on a product called Nature Fresh - essentially bags of activated charcoal - but have no idea how or why it would work and if there is any downside to placing in the cellar.

TIA

I would imagine a simple box fan/furnace filter set up would do a reasonable job for you, very low cost.
Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 7.30.11 AM.png

Swifter dusters

Considered then dismissed. Too labor intensive.

Just drink it all; that’s easy.

a dusty bottle is a properly aged bottle!

1 Like

I assume you mean the wine and not the dust. See OP if not clear.

1 Like

Obviously. You have to eat the dust, you can’t drink it.

I love dusty bottles. Embrace it!

1 Like

Agreed!

Unless asbestos or arsenic or PCB’s are raining down on ‘your precious’, I wouldn’t worry about it.
When you bring the bottle upstairs, wash it off under the sink. Problem solved.

1 Like

I don’t even do that, just take a tacky cloth and give it a quick wipe

2 Likes

and crusty ones as well

I know of several collectors that wrap the bottles in saran wrap or use clear plastic bags.
Where is the dust coming from?

The opposite of the above would be many of the most storied French cellars, where bottles routinely appear caked in dust and even mud. I.e., I would not worry about it.

It’s an unenclosed space in the basement. I am not concerned about the bottles but the basement is used for other purposes so I am concerned about the accumulation of dust in general.

I’ve never done this at home, but have worked in air pollution industrial controls. The most efficient, low energy, low noise, low vibration, get even the tiniest particles would be an electrostatic precipitator, ESP in the lingo. I googled and found these. I have no idea on brand or sizing, but this type of device would be what I’d select since they are designed for this purpose. Avari 525 Personal Air Purifier with Electrostatic Charged Filter – Avari Air Purifiers

Dust combined with high humidity in cool cellars resulting a caked dust surface, something I have learned to consider assuring in old school cellars.