2014 Domaine Guion 'Cuvee des Deux Monts'

Alfert recently was speaking metaphorically, describing a wine as what he called ‘soil to glass transfer’…well folks if there ever was a more fitting term this would be the moment…This wine is a complete soil to glass transfer on steroids….Celery seed, damp fall leaves, muddy water, polished green tobacco and some light bell pepper on the nose.

Then the sip… upfront some tart, light, red, untamed fruit, and then the earth busts in and declares, “get the fuq out of my way!!” This is mud mash, this is dirt gibble, this is beet root bingo, this prime brine time…This.is.delightful. Beware to any new world drinkers…be afraid be very afraid

Lol, sounds like a Bloody Mary! Like the one we just had at Mulligans on the beach. I cannot tell if you like it. [snort.gif]

That Bloody Mary was tasty brother…as is this wine!

Maybe do my 50th down in Vero!

Fwiw,
Soil to glass transfer is not an Alfert-ism.
It is John Livingstone Learmonth’s.
STGT is one of his highest esteemed category of wines, which most successfully transmit the essence of site into the glass…
Credit where credit is due.

1 Like

Oh come now Robert, I am pretty sure that I coined that phrase, in addition to every other tasting metaphor that has ever crossed the path of this website, including dancing satyrs, with the exclusion of two items noted below. I think I also invented the hundred point scale. And possibly even this website, just allowing Todd to be the face man given his tremendous flowing hair and massive guns.

Caveats:

Liquid chocolate sex was coined by Leve, and amuses me.

Anything coined by Galloni, especially “that’s all there is to it,” to basically tell you he’s right and you are not, annoys me. I won’t claim it.

Oh ok…well as long as John didn’t coin the phrase, “Like dancing Satyrs in a woodland Bacchanalian revelry” I’m ok with it.

That brilliant phrase is copyright protected, as is “haiku aging my sh*t”.

Like a rapping wine poet.

I’m pretty sure he did, I heard him say it like two weeks ago!

Was that in reference to the strawberry gummies?

I said Soil to Gummy Transfer. Same acronym, same meaning.

What about "A b-line to the boy with the lobster hands?":stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Lol…found it

1993 Olga Raffault Chinon Champ-Chenin
The freak…This wine was like when you go to the circus and pop over to see the boy with the lobster hands.
Honey infused beeswax, gramps old closet sweater action, tangy dry lemon rind, funk, racy acid…u know it! Really interesting

Not up to Alfert or Carnes creativity…just amusing really

:smiley: