TN: 2016 Cavallotto Langhe Nebbiolo (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC)

Real-time TN as I popped this about an hour ago while I was making a pizza on my new baking steel.

• 2016 Cavallotto Langhe Nebbiolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (4/1/2021)
    Decanted for 40 minutes. Served on the cool side. Nose doesn’t give up much initially. Slowly, with air, it reveals black cherry and rose wafting in the background. It feel serious right now, a good bit of structure cloaking things. Compared to the open and giving '16 Albe from Sunday, this one feels more like the playground bully. It has good palate presence, is very Nebbiolo, and there is no real harm in drinking now…but even better days are ahead, methinks.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Spot on note Dennis. I had a bottle about six months ago. Not simple, drinkable Langhe Nebbiolo with this one. It was a bruiser. I even woke up the next morning feeling like I’d been in a bar fight.

Gorgeous pizza.

1 Like

Thanks, Chris! Glad we are in accord here; always good to hear others have a similar take. Glad to have a couple more of these for the future.

Sounds great, but Dennis…tell me more about the Pizza? What do you use the steel in?

Hi Chris- Original baking steel in home oven. Preheat oven at 475 for an hour with steel on top rack. Then Use a broiler/bake method for 5-6 minutes.

Really nice looking result from an oven.

1 Like

Yea very pretty pizza!

I’ve really been impressed by many ‘16 Langhe Nebbiolos. All very dense and engaging. Some have been quite open and inviting (Fratelli Alessandria, Vajra). Many others have been structured, intense, and wanting some age (La Ca Nova, Burlotto, Giacosa, Sandrone). Perhaps most balanced so far, though still fairly structured, was the Bartolo Mascarello.

In a great vintage even the lesser wines are very good. Here’s some good proof.

1 Like

But you forgot the meat!

[dance-clap.gif]

Thank you. Great wine.

1 Like

We had our first of 7 two weeks ago. Thought your notes were perfect. Excellent wine…needs time.

1 Like

that pizza looks incredible!

1 Like

2017 Rinaldis and ester canale the best I have tried so far

Just sipping the Oddero '16 Langhe Nebbiolo (another wine imported on the West Coast by our own Oliver McCrum). What a delight! It’s got some secondary evolution, and shows real La Morra character – a femininity with depth. Wish I’d bought way more of this!

2 Likes

I had forgotten just how good this wine was in 2016, then opened one the other night after reading this note. Damn but this is tasty, very much a younger sibling to Cavallotto’s more storied wines.

In a moment of uncharacteristic restraint, I only bought a few of these, and they have been drinking so well, I only have one left. I’ve got a case of the 2018 coming, though! While I don’t expect quite the same experience, I am optimistic that it will bring a great deal of pleasure as well.

1 Like