FedEx Craziness

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

FedEx Craziness

#1 Post by TomHill »

I have a wine delivery in WestVlly City, UT this morning. Scheduled delivery?? Yesterday To LosAlamos by 9:00pm!!
Tom

Brian Pinci
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: FedEx Craziness

#2 Post by Brian Pinci »

I’ve been seeing the same weirdness. Scheduled for delivery to DC, then next day sitting in Laurel MD, then 2 days later sitting in Oregon. I called the FedEx store in DC and it was delivered 3 days ago
Brian Pinci

MikeL238
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by MikeL238 »

Had an overnight package that's supposed to arrive in NY today. It's sitting in Indianapolis right now...
Mike Leigh

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Yeah...

#4 Post by TomHill »

Brian Pinci wrote: April 1st, 2021, 10:10 am I’ve been seeing the same weirdness. Scheduled for delivery to DC, then next day sitting in Laurel MD, then 2 days later sitting in Oregon. I called the FedEx store in DC and it was delivered 3 days ago
Yeah, Brian. Their WebSite does some pretty weird stuff.
And then when you try to interact with their AI Chat, it gets even weirder. Several times I tried to find out why my Cedarville shipment
was sitting in their Secacus depot for over 3 months, w/ the "InTransit" message showing on their WebSite. They gave me this song&dance that their shipments don't always
take an obvious route to get to me. Finally I replied, "I know wastebaskets with more innate intelligence than your artificial intelligence".
It responded that it didn't understand the question!!
And try to get a real/live human bean?? Forget it.
Fortunately, my FedEx & my UPS drivers are absolutely first rate guys. Once it goes "Out for Delivery", they're right on top of it.
They get nice tips come Christmas time.
Tom

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by M. Dildine »

Tom, How did you finagle a wine delivery to UT?
Cheers,

Mike

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by TomHill »

M. Dildine wrote: April 1st, 2021, 10:51 am Tom, How did you finagle a wine delivery to UT?
Didn't, Mike. It's just sitting at the FedEx Depot there in Utah, in route to LosAlamos.
There are probably a lot of folks there in UT that would be shocked to find out that happens. Surprised the UT
legislature hasn't banned the practice. We all know how evil wine is.
Tom

M. Meer

#7 Post by M. Meer »

Maybe that's why is still there -- to save your poor soul.
With Porter & Mackie prime rib and kale
Mar.kus

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Sorry..

#8 Post by TomHill »

M. Meer wrote: April 1st, 2021, 11:37 am Maybe that's why is still there -- to save your poor soul.
Sorry, Markus.... my soul is way far beyond saving!!
Tom

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by David Glasser »

April Fool's!

Greg Gardner

#10 Post by Greg Gardner »

I've had boxes got to Walgreens (FedEx hold location) that were still showing as 'out for delivery' two days after I picked the box up, but I suppose that could just be an issue with it not being scanned out correctly. Anyway, FedEx was doing so well by me for most of the pandemic, but for Spring '21 shipping season, they've been a total mess. Nothing arrives on time and the scans often don't appear to much correlation to reality.

M. Meer

Re: Sorry..

#11 Post by M. Meer »

TomHill wrote: April 1st, 2021, 11:58 am
M. Meer wrote: April 1st, 2021, 11:37 am Maybe that's why is still there -- to save your poor soul.
Sorry, Markus.... my soul is way far beyond saving!!
Tom
😈
With Porter & Mackie prime rib and kale
Mar.kus

Brad S c h i e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Brad S c h i e r »

I ordered something from a winery for 2 day last Wednesday to Dallas. Expectation was Friday or Saturday. Somehow went to Indy and have been sitting in Indianapolis for a few days and supposed delivery in Dallas today. I do everything I can to avoid FedEx but thats not really an option.

MikeL238
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by MikeL238 »

Brad S c h i e r wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 9:16 am I ordered something from a winery for 2 day last Wednesday to Dallas. Expectation was Friday or Saturday. Somehow went to Indy and have been sitting in Indianapolis for a few days and supposed delivery in Dallas today. I do everything I can to avoid FedEx but thats not really an option.
Same issue here. My package has been sitting in Indy for the last three days despite having been sent overnight. [soap.gif]
Mike Leigh

Markus S

#14 Post by Markus S »

Maybe you should simply send it to California. Seems like you are there half the year anyway!
$ _ € ® e . k @

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#15 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

Thank God I was off work today, and saw the FedEx guy coming up the driveway with my latest delivery. I got my hands under the box just as the bottom opened up. Not FedEx's fault - just a crappy tape job by the shipper, but we almost had a disaster in the driveway.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Joseph Zamrin

#16 Post by Joseph Zamrin »

I've seen a bit of the weird routing info as well

Today. a DC shipment to an office with reception on 3rd day of no delivery. Status at "future delivery requested" for 3 days. No change was requested by the recipient. Called yesterday to get it fixed, but today, rinse and repeat. Thankfully, it's the exception, but when it happens, extremely frustrating.
ITB Retail

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#17 Post by Marcus Goodfellow »

It definitely feels like they are overwhelmed this year.
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Bob Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Bob Davis »

TomHill wrote: April 1st, 2021, 11:15 am
M. Dildine wrote: April 1st, 2021, 10:51 am Tom, How did you finagle a wine delivery to UT?
Didn't, Mike. It's just sitting at the FedEx Depot there in Utah, in route to LosAlamos.
There are probably a lot of folks there in UT that would be shocked to find out that happens. Surprised the UT
legislature hasn't banned the practice. We all know how evil wine is.
Tom
Maryland used to ban the practice of wine passing through unless the shipper had the necessary license to ship alcohol. The UPS depot in Hagerstown, MD regularly stopped boxes headed for Martinsburg, WV.

Gabe Berk

#19 Post by Gabe Berk »

Marcus Goodfellow wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 11:18 am It definitely feels like they are overwhelmed this year.
FedEx and UPS have been overwhelmed beyond any previous measure the past 14 months. COVID has really put those guys to work...and then some. As a consumer, I've never had as many wine delivery issues as last year and this year. Wineries have to be eating the cost a ton of product more than ever to replace lost or damaged wine. Hoping that changes soon for everyone involved from the wineries, consumers and drivers.

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#20 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

It’s not just wine/consumer products being delayed. Industrial deliveries are also messed up. The system is completely clogged right now.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by RichardFlack »

The fun thing here is watching UPS deliveries ping pong across Toronto. Parcels arrive at Pearson (NW Toronto - we live fairly central, about 8km east of downtown) and then go through three locations, one of which is in Scarborough, way east of us, and then they head west again to “Toronto” and finally “out for delivery”. The airport is about 25 mins from our house with good traffic, UPS usually takes two days.

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by John Glas »

Normally great experiences with FedEx but wine was suppose to arrive on thursday and then today and now hopefully won't sit in a hot warehouse over 70 degree plus weather in St. Paul this weekend. If inside not worried but in a truck outside that is not good.

Richard Albert

#23 Post by Richard Albert »

Just received a Fed Ex ground shipment of six bottles supposedly picked up on Monday to be delivered on Tuesday as I am 30 miles from the sender, it took until Thursday.

Spoke with another shipper and got an earful. FedEx is experiencing a deluge of problems at this time from her perspective as well.
ITB

jhans

#24 Post by jhans »

I just received a message that I missed a delivery today....at my office. And it was shipped on Friday, which makes no sense at all. And it is not scheduled to be redelivered until Tuesday.
John

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Warren Taranow »

My UPS shipment from California to Washington State is held up at the Suez Canal.
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

EricG

#26 Post by EricG »

Had FedEx lose my first wine shipment this year. Made it to a local distribution center but then a ghost.
G = G_e_r_b_e_r

KyleC

#27 Post by KyleC »

Fedex has lost a very expensive (for me at least) bottle of wine coming from NY->CA. After initiating a trace, they called me and pretty much were like, we have no idea where it is.
C h e n

MikeL238
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by MikeL238 »

KyleC wrote: April 5th, 2021, 12:45 pm Fedex has lost a very expensive (for me at least) bottle of wine coming from NY->CA. After initiating a trace, they called me and pretty much were like, we have no idea where it is.
What do they do in that case? Was it insured?
Mike Leigh

KyleC

#29 Post by KyleC »

MikeL238 wrote: April 5th, 2021, 12:55 pm
KyleC wrote: April 5th, 2021, 12:45 pm Fedex has lost a very expensive (for me at least) bottle of wine coming from NY->CA. After initiating a trace, they called me and pretty much were like, we have no idea where it is.
What do they do in that case? Was it insured?
I called the seller and they will refer it to their shipping department manager. The rep did say that if it does end up being lost, they will file a claim against Fedex, and it sounds like I'll get a refund. When I bought the bottle, it said free shipping, and there was no mention of insurance, but I assume the seller has something in place with Fedex.
C h e n

Brad S c h i e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Brad S c h i e r »

Brad S c h i e r wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 9:16 am I ordered something from a winery for 2 day last Wednesday to Dallas. Expectation was Friday or Saturday. Somehow went to Indy and have been sitting in Indianapolis for a few days and supposed delivery in Dallas today. I do everything I can to avoid FedEx but thats not really an option.
And update.. still sitting in Indy for a solid week now. I now am not sure I feel comfortable with the wine. I have a call into the winery to see what their thoughts are.

FMansfield
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by FMansfield »

FedEx destroyed a shipment of wine I picked up a few days ago. Box looked smushed. Inside box was wet, purple, bad sign. One of several bottles obliterated, and these were big thick bottles...hard to break. Other bottles fine but I’m sure shaken up. All labels affected. The winery was very nice and is sending me another shipment and I’ll send back the non-broken bottles.
F r e d e r i c k [cheers.gif]

Jake-D

#32 Post by Jake-D »

Another data point -- a tale of four bottles of LdH Tondonia Blanco 2009: Purchased a few weeks ago from Wineworks, NJ. The box made it swiftly enough across country to a local warehouse in the SF Bay Area. Then over the next week we were repeatedly given delivery dates (and even hour ranges -- "between 10:15 AM and 1:50 PM") -- only to informed by FedEx's AI, via text and email: "Delivery exception" -- failure because nobody was home to take delivery.

We were home the entire time. My home office for the last 12 months looks out at out front door, and I've see score if not hundreds of delivery folks during that time. After a week of similar messages from FedEx, and ultimately being told by FedEx that the box would be returned to NJ because after numerous attempts *we* had failed to be home for delivery (!), I called FedEx twice and spoke to real persons who simply read to me the same false "history" screen info that I could see on the FedEx site.

Finally, I called the seller, Wineworks. Another week and numerous emails later the box arrived (fortunately, given coolish weather, there was no apparent seepage or damage). The Wineworks folks told me this and similar is happening with FedEx in the past three months. Other SF Bay are retailers have other confirmed this, and added, it's similar with UPS -- as some have said above, apparently both are overwhelmed and relying on untrained folks.

Wineworks asked FedEx to refund my costs. FedEx refused. Then Wineworks, totally on its own initiative, refunded me. What a classy operation -- and what a contrast with FexEx. (And PS: Last I looked, they seemed to have acquired a few more bottles of this, still at a decent price -- better than what I normally find locally, even factoring in monetary shipping costs.)

All things considered: This is a First World problem, indeed. But good for Wineworks, at least.

Vince L.

#33 Post by Vince L. »

I've had my fair share of UPS/FedEx Crazyness in 2020 and every single time it has been the winery that either made it right or was proactive and contacted the shipper.

FedEx/UPS/GSO were all completely useless.

I truly wish there were alternatives considering Both FedEx/UPS made Net Profits of over $1B in 2020.
l 3 r t

Siun o'Connell
BerserkerDay Council
BerserkerDay Council

#34 Post by Siun o'Connell »

I’ve mostly had good luck with UPS and mostly though less with FedEx, esp at my new location which is outside the city. Still, I was fascinated by how simply things went when I ordered some cosmetics from Selfridges in the UK. Some friends in the business had suggested ordering from there - the price is lower and for $55 a year, all shipping and handling costs are covered. No customs charges. And they get a lot of new releases weeks sooner than the US stores (and often get releases that never actually get released to the US). So ... I decided to try a first order. Ordered an eyeshadow the evening on Wednesday 3/31, price $7 less than sold here, shipped DHL and delivered at 11:20 AM Central on Friday. And DHL emailed accurate tracking info and offered a variety of services (approve no signature, change address, change delivery day, etc) at no extra charge. So it can be done!

Richard Albert

#35 Post by Richard Albert »

FedEx just sent me a text to pick up the package I picked up last Thursday.
Tracking that number again shows I picked it up already.
ITB

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by TomHill »

I have 8 cs of Carlisle scheduled for tomorrow. Pray for me!!
Tom

mattbillet

#37 Post by mattbillet »

I beg folks not to send me anything via FEDEX. They will tell you the same package is being delivered tomorrow 3-4 days in a row... and then claim they attempted delivery and no-one was there when you were not only present... but in the parking lot to see no-one came there.

R Scott Hughes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by R Scott Hughes »

mattbillet wrote: April 7th, 2021, 9:07 pm I beg folks not to send me anything via FEDEX.
I am at this point as well, just say 'No' to FedEx. As others have noted, their tracking s/w is pretty much useless. But my main beef with them is in the last mile. On multiple occasions in the past year, they have delivered my packages to the wrong address - and I am talking different street name/number - not even close (I also occasionally receive FedEx packages for others as well). I have been fortunate on several occasions where the recipient either dropped off the package or found my contact info and called me. It happened again yesterday, received text that package was delivered to my front door and checked 5 minutes later - nothing. We don't have an issue with porch pirates and I don't have this issue w/ any other delivery company.

I won't claim UPS is perfect but based on my experience over the past year, they are better than FedEx in every dimension.
R u 5 5 3 ||

Markus S

#39 Post by Markus S »

TomHill wrote: April 6th, 2021, 9:10 am I have 8 cs of Carlisle scheduled for tomorrow. Pray for me!!
Tom
That's a lot of octane. Let us know how it goes.
$ _ € ® e . k @

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#40 Post by larry schaffer »

EVERY shipping company has had issues over the past 6 months - just overwhelmed and really straining their systems. Also, their 'automated' systems are just not working as they should - and all have add challenges hiring people.

Since the big freeze that affected many parts of the US a number of weeks back, the shipping company I work with has suggested NOT shipping expedited with Fed Ex - they are simply not keeping things rolling with those types of shipments. I've had pretty good luck with Fed Ex ground during the same period though.

Cheers
larry schaffer
tercero wines

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Well....

#41 Post by TomHill »

Markus S wrote: April 8th, 2021, 8:24 am
TomHill wrote: April 6th, 2021, 9:10 am I have 8 cs of Carlisle scheduled for tomorrow. Pray for me!!
Tom
Well, Markus......four of them arrived in Phoenix late ystrday afternoon, Wed. It still says they are/were to be delivered by end of day on Wed.
The other 4 hit Phoenix early Wed evening & are indicated to be delivered by end of day today (Thurs). Yeah....sure!!
I don't give the FedEx estimate of delivery any credence until it says it's arrived in SantaFe and indicated "Out for Delivery". The "In Transit"
estimates always appear to be made by FedEx gerbils.
Once it says "Out for Delivery", then I'm sure it will arrive. Only the end game means anything. And my FedEx guy is very good & he always comes
thru w/ the goods.
We've been ordering from Mike "from the very start", as some folks say. I order for some 10-12 folks & Mike always takes good care of our wants/needs.
Tom

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Well....

#42 Post by TomHill »

TomHill wrote: April 8th, 2021, 9:37 am
Markus S wrote: April 8th, 2021, 8:24 am
Tom
Well, Markus......four of them arrived in Phoenix late ystrday afternoon, Wed. It still says they are/were to be delivered by end of day on Wed.
The other 4 hit Phoenix early Wed evening & are indicated to be delivered by end of day today (Thurs). Yeah....sure!!
I don't give the FedEx estimate of delivery any credence until it says it's arrived in SantaFe and indicated "Out for Delivery". The "In Transit"
estimates always appear to be made by FedEx gerbils.
Once it says "Out for Delivery", then I'm sure it will arrive. Only the end game means anything. And my FedEx guy is very good & he always comes
thru w/ the goods.
We've been ordering from Mike "from the very start", as some folks say. I order for some 10-12 folks & Mike always takes good care of our wants/needs.
Tom
The gerbils are getting better at their game. They now say tomorrow (Fri) by end of day. We'll see!!
Tom

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by john stimson »

Finally got my FedEx wine shipment from Envoyer after nine days (normally takes 3). And the ultimate insult is the link to their "how was our service" survey is an invalid URL.

MikeL238
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by MikeL238 »

Actually had FedEx deliver an overnight package on time today. SHOCKER.
Mike Leigh

Greg Gardner

#45 Post by Greg Gardner »

I just got the dreaded FedEx message ‘unable to complete delivery due to damage’. Should be an interesting phone call tomorrow.

D. HEIN

#46 Post by D. HEIN »

Greg Gardner wrote: April 8th, 2021, 7:37 pm I just got the dreaded FedEx message ‘unable to complete delivery due to damage’. Should be an interesting phone call tomorrow.
In what languages are you fluent?
Donn Hein

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by J a y H a c k »

Warning - - - Thread drift for a true story.

About 25 years ago, we had friends who lived in Utah. They were originally from India. Not Mormons. They told us that their reputation in the community was that they were horrible alcoholics because they were always going to the liquor store to by large amounts of hard liquor . . . for their Mormon friends who couldn't be seen buying the stuff themselves.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Greg Gardner

#48 Post by Greg Gardner »

D. HEIN wrote: April 8th, 2021, 8:26 pm
Greg Gardner wrote: April 8th, 2021, 7:37 pm I just got the dreaded FedEx message ‘unable to complete delivery due to damage’. Should be an interesting phone call tomorrow.
In what languages are you fluent?
Probably not enough. The note says to contact shipper, which is Winebid. What is really weird is it was out for delivery today (I had it set to deliver to a FedEx location anyway) and now with the damage, whatever that turns out to be, it’s now showing as getting delivered Monday. Not sure what they are planning on doing with the box over the next three days.

What really sucks is that unlike retail or winery purchases, where the wines could likely be replaced, auction wines often can’t. There are definitely bottles in this shipment that are in the ‘not replaceable’ category.

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

So...

#49 Post by TomHill »

So.... the 4 pairs(8 cases) left the Phoenix depot at Noon ystrday (Thurs). The tracking site indicated 2 pairs were to be delivered by end of day on (last) Wed, the other pair on Thurs. Yeah...sure.

This morning, it indicated that all 4 pairs her the SantaFe depot at 4:00am this morning (Fri). Loaded on truck & out for delivery today. But it also indicates delivery on Wed & Thurs. The FedEx tracking gerbils are not the best & the brightest. But they're smarter than the AI chat software.

Ryan is good, so hopefully all 8 Carlisles will hit my doorstep today.
Tom

JViolini

#50 Post by JViolini »

My issues with FedEx have been 2 out of the last 3 times in the past 2 months or so I've requested to hold something at location (one a FedEx/Kinkos and one the FedEx regional distro) and both times I never got a status update or tracking update showing it was there and available for pick up. After 3-4 days of when it should have been to me I finally called and double checked it was there before going.
JV (itb)

Return to “Wine Talk”