TN: Abbott & Castello....

Tonight we’re sipping the 2006 Castello di Neive Barbaresco, Santo Stefano Riserva. A very bricky red in the glass, with deep, intense, complex aromas of dried cherry, tar, fennel/anise, leather, beef jerky and light floral and mint accents. Intense on the palate, too, with deep, dried cherry, tar, leather, smoke, anise, meat/jerky and light mint notes. Some Cellar Tracker notes say this was close to maturity, but I think those are people who don’t have a lot of experience aging Nebbiolo. Yeah, it’s bricking, and the nose is more dried and complex, but that’s the way these wines are. The palate is still 7-10 years away (or more) from smoothing out the still noticeable, slightly gritty tannins. Because of the complexity and depth of fruit it’s still delicious with a grilled steak, but the tannins are building after dinner is over. I don’t hear much about this producer, but remember trying this in 2013 and being really impressed with it as a youngster, enough to buy a few bottles at the $60 price. Now I wish I would have bought more, as this is already really delicious and should just get better. Anyone have any experience with newer vintages of this wine? If they are anything like this they deserve more attention from traditional Barbaresco fans. Approx…93-94.

1 Like

I had the 2016 normal last year. (B & B SVDs are outside my budget.) I had not heard much about it beforehand. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Ripe red fruit. Long finish. Was as good or better the 2nd night. Will buy again.
For reference, other Barolos I like are Massolino, Marcarini, and Vietti. Hope this helps.

Love this producer. Visited a couple of years ago and they are really committing $$ to get even better. Plus, as far as price, they are exceptionally reasonable.