Issues with Grassl glasses breaking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Ron Slye
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Re: Issues with Grassl glasses breaking?

#51 Post by Ron Slye »

Christos M. wrote: April 1st, 2021, 7:38 pm Can you put Grassl and Zalto glasses on the bottom rack of the dishwasher? The glasses are too tall for my top rack.
We put them mostly in the bottom rack. But we have a relatively new Miele that is designed to accommodate wineglasses. Never had a problem -- and we rarely use the special crystal setting, but instead just have them in with the rest of the dishes on the normal cycle.

I will also say that we have some of the early Grassl glasses -- so I guess the lighter more delicate ones. I have not weighed them nor even held them side by side (we have two new ones, for example, from the MC deal). We have not had any breakage from normal dishwasher use with any of them.

For dishwasher, I think two things are important: 1) what dishwasher you have and how the racks are set (i.e. do they hold the glasses and other things in place) and 2) how you load it -- i.e. don't place a heavy bowl against the wine glass, etc.

davidkong
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#52 Post by davidkong »

Andrew W. wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:41 pm
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: April 1st, 2021, 4:16 pm Not with Grassl, but my wife and I have already each broken one Glasvin while washing (on top of the one that arrived broken) --- those things scare me!
Same here, actually 2/4 of my Glasvins have broken in the dishwasher not even hand washing!
Hi Andrew,
We are sending you another 2.
Regards,
David
Glas.vin
Back in stock.
Free US Shipping, Flat Intl Shipping
Use code WB for 10% off

davidkong
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#53 Post by davidkong »

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote: April 1st, 2021, 4:16 pm Not with Grassl, but my wife and I have already each broken one Glasvin while washing (on top of the one that arrived broken) --- those things scare me!
Hi Brian - privately messaging you.
Regards,
David
Glas.vin
Back in stock.
Use code WB for 10% off

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#54 Post by Brian Tuite »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: March 31st, 2021, 7:07 pm No issues, and I always hand wash them, since I do not have a dishwasher.
No dishwasher here either, well my Wife. [wink.gif] We’ve broken 2 or three 1855s while drying. Casualties of the hobby. Broke a brand new Glasvin drying it the day it arrived.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

todd waldmann
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#55 Post by todd waldmann »

I broke one of my new Crus within a couple weeks of receiving them. I was handwashing, only half paying attention, and snapped the stem in half. I have used the dishwasher with good results, other than water spots. Any tips for those who use the dishwasher exclusively for avoiding water spots?
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

Paul R.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Paul R. »

We love our 1855s and Crus. I have only broken them hand washing/drying. We wash in the dishwasher (not a fancy dishwasher either) every time and have never had an issue. They are far more durable than they appear.
R o e s s

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Chris Seiber »

Christos M. wrote: April 1st, 2021, 7:38 pm Can you put Grassl and Zalto glasses on the bottom rack of the dishwasher? The glasses are too tall for my top rack.
I've been putting my Gabriel Glas and Glasvin in the bottom rack of my (very ordinary) dishwasher for years and they come out great, zero breakage.

My clumsy hands fumbling around cleaning and drying the glasses is far more breakage risk than the dishwasher. I don't even think it's close.

Ron Slye
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#58 Post by Ron Slye »

todd waldmann wrote: April 6th, 2021, 9:55 am I broke one of my new Crus within a couple weeks of receiving them. I was handwashing, only half paying attention, and snapped the stem in half. I have used the dishwasher with good results, other than water spots. Any tips for those who use the dishwasher exclusively for avoiding water spots?
With our new fancy Miele we have not had that problem. We do use a rinse aid that Miele provides -- but I think even when we don't we have not had a problem. Water spots may be related to how hard or soft your water is? I guess the other idea is to had dry them after, but that runs the risk of the hand washing -- though I guess if it is done the next morning with no alcohol in the blood that may make a difference. :-)

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Kirk.Grant »

JBrochu wrote: March 31st, 2021, 7:10 pm You must have a delicate touch. I've broken 3 or 4 hand washing, including crushing one in my hand just holding it and squeezing a little too tight. And I've heard of many others breaking them hand washing and clearly remember reading in multiple places that it's not recommended.
Gravity killed one of the Cru's I bought, the dishwasher killed two other Crus. Buffing out to dry one killed the 4th. The last two have been quite sturdy. In my mind, that's the cost of owning wine glasses. When I reached out to Chris about this, he was quite gracious and offered to replace them even though that was not the intent of the replacement policy. In my mind, that's the sort of thing that is exactly what I would do myself, but there is a cost to him that I don't want to do during a time where businesses are struggling during the pandemic...and now the Conterno Sensory glass is now my house Burg/Barolo glass.

I have six Liberte glasses that I bought at the same time...and none of them has broken. If/when they do, I will be buying more...from Chris, because he does things the right way (in my book).
Last edited by Kirk.Grant on April 6th, 2021, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

JBrochu

#60 Post by JBrochu »

Kirk.Grant wrote: April 6th, 2021, 12:17 pm
JBrochu wrote: March 31st, 2021, 7:10 pm You must have a delicate touch. I've broken 3 or 4 hand washing, including crushing one in my hand just holding it and squeezing a little too tight. And I've heard of many others breaking them hand washing and clearly remember reading in multiple places that it's not recommended.
Gravity killed one of the Cru's I bought, the dishwasher killed two other Crus. Buffing out to dry one killed the 4th. The last two have been quite sturdy. In my mind, that's the cost of owning wine glasses. When I reached out to Chris about this, he was quite gracious and offered to replace them even though that was not the intent of the replacement policy. In my mind, that's the sort of thing that is exactly what I would do myself, but there is a cost to him that I don't want to do during a time where businesses are struggling during the pandemic...and the Conterno Sensory glass is now my house Burg/Barolo glass.

I have six Liberte glasses that I bought at the same time...and none of them has broken. If/when they do, I will be buying more...from Chris, because he does things the right way (in my book).
I've also not accepted any replacements under the Grassl policy, even though Chris offered. Basically because most/all of the breakage were our own fault from being clumsy and from choosing to hand wash when it's clearly not the recommended method.
J@hn

ChrisJames
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by ChrisJames »

I ordered six Glasvin. Broke one and David replaced it. I've since broken the other six, all during handling. I am just too much of a klutz for such delicate glasses. Back to the Riedels.

Henry Kiichli
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Henry Kiichli »

I broke the two big ones, but I assume by my own fault.
"Police say Henry smelled of alcohol and acknowledged drinking a six-pack of Hamm’s beer with the hogs"

bretrooks

#63 Post by bretrooks »

I have a handful of Liberte and Cru Grassls from the initial run - some very delicate and a couple of minor issues, but Chris more than made everything right. My wife is very hesitant to use them because of their seeming delicacy, and she won't attempt to wash them, so I pretty much just use them for myself when we open nicer bottles...mostly the Liberte. I like them a lot.

They don't fit in our dishwasher upper rack, so we haven't gone that route, but thus far I've been able to carefully hand wash them without breakage. (Disclaimer: I'm not highly picky about water spots, so I don't dry them very aggressively or polish them.)
Bret R., Intrepid QPR Explorer

AAgrawal
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by AAgrawal »

I can't get myself to put wine glasses in the dishwasher. We have a relatively new Bosch, but between my concern about breaking and soap residue I've never tried it. I am fairly careful with hand washing though, and I haven't broken any Grassl glasses. I did lose one Riedel sauternes sommelier while washing, but that was because I hit it against the side of the sink by accident. And I've lost 2 Jancis Robinson's one glasses from cleaning by others. Honestly that's it in 10 years of drinking wine, so overall not bad I think.
A s h i s h A g r a w a l

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Chris Seiber »

AAgrawal wrote: April 6th, 2021, 1:26 pm I can't get myself to put wine glasses in the dishwasher. We have a relatively new Bosch, but between my concern about breaking and soap residue I've never tried it.
Suck it up and try it a few times, your fears will dissipate very quickly.

Victor Hong

#66 Post by Victor Hong »

Chris Seiber wrote: April 6th, 2021, 2:34 pm
AAgrawal wrote: April 6th, 2021, 1:26 pm I can't get myself to put wine glasses in the dishwasher. We have a relatively new Bosch, but between my concern about breaking and soap residue I've never tried it.
Suck it up and try it a few times, your shards will dissipate very quickly.
Corrected. neener
WineHunter.

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by Kirk.Grant »

AAgrawal wrote: April 6th, 2021, 1:26 pm I can't get myself to put wine glasses in the dishwasher. We have a relatively new Bosch, but between my concern about breaking and soap residue I've never tried it. I am fairly careful with hand washing though, and I haven't broken any Grassl glasses. I did lose one Riedel sauternes sommelier while washing, but that was because I hit it against the side of the sink by accident. And I've lost 2 Jancis Robinson's one glasses from cleaning by others. Honestly that's it in 10 years of drinking wine, so overall not bad I think.
I have found that running the dishwasher without soap works just fine for the wine glasses once enough collect on the counter side.

R. Gaston

#68 Post by R. Gaston »

ChrisJames wrote: April 6th, 2021, 12:39 pm
I ordered six Glasvin. Broke one and David replaced it. I've since broken the other six, all during handling. I am just too much of a klutz for such delicate glasses. Back to the Riedels.
Honestly, it’s not you. I’ve had my Grassi for over a year and no problem. Got two Glasvin this year and both broke with the lightest touch. They look great but man are they delicate.
Ryan

davidkong
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#69 Post by davidkong »

R. Gaston wrote: April 6th, 2021, 7:08 pm
Honestly, it’s not you. I’ve had my Grassi for over a year and no problem. Got two Glasvin this year and both broke with the lightest touch. They look great but man are they delicate.
Ryan, I have PM'ed you
Regards,
David
Glas.vin
Back in stock.
Use code WB for 10% off

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#70 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

I’ve generally not had issues with breakage with any of the premium glasses since grassl added more glass to their glasses. I always wash in the dishwasher on the bottom shelf of a new Miele and haven’t had any break with that setup. I haven’t had any issues with glasvin breaking but don’t like the shape/size as much as my other glasses so they don’t get much use.

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Albert R »

All glasses break and it does not matter whether it’s a Grassl, Glasvin, Zalto or Riedel. What I do know is that both Chris and David back their product with excellent customer service.

Recently the dishwasher completely destroyed a Glasvin. Probably a loading error on our part. My wife also broke a Zalto hand drying it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
@. Re-go

Albert R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Albert R »

Zalto
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
@. Re-go

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#73 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

Yep, all glassware breaks (perhaps with the exception of Libbey ... hey, don't call it a comeback!!) I also think it's good for producers to get feedback on their products, which makes this thread particularly useful for Chris and David.

David reached-out to me and offered to replace the two glasses my wife and I broke while washing. Huge kudos to him for that excellent customer service. I chose not to take him up on his generous offer because the breakage was a Me Problem, as the glasses were not defective.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

R. Gaston

#74 Post by R. Gaston »

davidkong wrote: April 7th, 2021, 2:06 am
R. Gaston wrote: April 6th, 2021, 7:08 pm

Ryan, I have PM'ed you
Regards,
David
Beyond gracious of you. Thanks for reaching out and replacing.

Ryan
Ryan

AKuehn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by AKuehn »

Tom G l a s g o w wrote: April 2nd, 2021, 5:43 am The Bosch has water softener, but I don’t use a rinse aid.
Who uses a rinse aid and why? Yes, I know it’s recommended by Bosch but the less chemicals the better.
I have a not-high-end Bosch, and we do use a rinse aid, because it dries more completely that way and we don't get the water spots we otherwise do. I actually don't much like the rinse aid dispenser on the Bosch, because we can't easily tell how much in in the dispenser, and how much is getting dispensed in each load. Our old Kenmore was better in that regard. But in terms of cleanliness, drying, decibels, and ease of use with wine glasses in particular, the Bosch is miles better.

Works great top or bottom with wine glasses, and the only time we broke a glass in it was when we first got the machine and shoved it closed without realizing the rack was too high. We ended up with a stemless glass. At least it was a nice clean break that was easy to clean up, even though completely destroyed the usefulness of the glass.
-Adam

AKuehn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by AKuehn »

Kirk.Grant wrote: April 6th, 2021, 12:17 pm Gravity killed one of the Cru's I bought, the dishwasher killed two other Crus. Buffing out to dry one killed the 4th. The last two have been quite sturdy. In my mind, that's the cost of owning wine glasses. When I reached out to Chris about this, he was quite gracious and offered to replace them even though that was not the intent of the replacement policy. In my mind, that's the sort of thing that is exactly what I would do myself, but there is a cost to him that I don't want to do during a time where businesses are struggling during the pandemic...and now the Conterno Sensory glass is now my house Burg/Barolo glass.

When I ordered a replacement glass shortly after the special replacement deal had expired, Chris refunded me the difference anyway. Since that order was already placed, my solution was to order eight more glasses. Good customer service needs to be rewarded.
-Adam

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Kirk.Grant »

AKuehn wrote: April 7th, 2021, 12:24 pm
Kirk.Grant wrote: April 6th, 2021, 12:17 pm Gravity killed one of the Cru's I bought, the dishwasher killed two other Crus. Buffing out to dry one killed the 4th. The last two have been quite sturdy. In my mind, that's the cost of owning wine glasses. When I reached out to Chris about this, he was quite gracious and offered to replace them even though that was not the intent of the replacement policy. In my mind, that's the sort of thing that is exactly what I would do myself, but there is a cost to him that I don't want to do during a time where businesses are struggling during the pandemic...and now the Conterno Sensory glass is now my house Burg/Barolo glass.

When I ordered a replacement glass shortly after the special replacement deal had expired, Chris refunded me the difference anyway. Since that order was already placed, my solution was to order eight more glasses. Good customer service needs to be rewarded.
+ 1,000 and that's why I bought the Champagne glasses from him too.

Ron Slye
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#78 Post by Ron Slye »

Kirk.Grant wrote: April 7th, 2021, 4:24 pm
AKuehn wrote: April 7th, 2021, 12:24 pm

+ 1,000 and that's why I bought the Champagne glasses from him too.
And why I bought two decanters recently. I really love the product. But even if I liked it a little less than I do, Chris is at the top of any industry with respect to responsiveness and customer service.

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by Kirk.Grant »

Albert R wrote: April 7th, 2021, 4:38 am All glasses break and it does not matter whether it’s a Grassl, Glasvin, Zalto or Riedel. What I do know is that both Chris and David back their product with excellent customer service.

Recently the dishwasher completely destroyed a Glasvin. Probably a loading error on our part. My wife also broke a Zalto hand drying it.

Splatter that with a little paint & you have a "piece of art" ready to send off to the art gallery.

John Davis
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#80 Post by John Davis »

Use ours all of the time, daily, and have had no issues. We also put them in the dishwasher. Wine glasses get broken even when you are careful. In one of the first wine classes/seminars I took the instructor said, “wine glasses get broken and wine gets spilled”, it’s part of the game.
ITB

Jim Clary
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Jim Clary »

JBrochu wrote: April 6th, 2021, 12:26 pm
Kirk.Grant wrote: April 6th, 2021, 12:17 pm
Gravity killed one of the Cru's I bought, the dishwasher killed two other Crus. Buffing out to dry one killed the 4th. The last two have been quite sturdy. In my mind, that's the cost of owning wine glasses. When I reached out to Chris about this, he was quite gracious and offered to replace them even though that was not the intent of the replacement policy. In my mind, that's the sort of thing that is exactly what I would do myself, but there is a cost to him that I don't want to do during a time where businesses are struggling during the pandemic...and the Conterno Sensory glass is now my house Burg/Barolo glass.

I've also not accepted any replacements under the Grassl policy, even though Chris offered. Basically because most/all of the breakage were our own fault from being clumsy and from choosing to hand wash when it's clearly not the recommended method.
Exact same situation here. I have broken at least 6 of the glasses from hand washing. Never in the dishwasher. Love them though.
Jim Clary

Brian Lynch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by Brian Lynch »

Rule #1 - don't wash by hand when buzzed

Rule #2 - don't wash by hand or put in dishwasher when hung over. Wait until later in the day. :-)
The Waterboys

Bill James

#83 Post by Bill James »

I have both Grassl and GGG for 2 years. Haven't broken one yet. I'm a dishwasher guy. Learned with Riedel not to hand wash...especially the same night as drinking in said glassware.

Chadly S
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#84 Post by Chadly S »

I’ve only washed all glasses in the dishwasher and never broke one. Use my Grassl pretty much weekly and never broke one from washing. I probably just jinxed myself, but my Grassls have held up to fairly high usage. I’ll be buying more when he extends the sale and a friend will be buying some too.
Chad Szczepanski

Andrew W.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Andrew W. »

davidkong wrote: April 6th, 2021, 5:06 am
Andrew W. wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:41 pm
Same here, actually 2/4 of my Glasvins have broken in the dishwasher not even hand washing!
Hi Andrew,
We are sending you another 2.
Regards,
David
David, very kind and appreciated. I take the view that all glass ends up as sand eventually so don't sweat over broken wine glasses. We've enjoyed the glasses.
A. 'Wy.man'

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by Andrew Kotowski »

I’ve got both Grassl 1855s (drinking a 2017 Reynvaan In the Hills from one as a I type) and the Glasvin. Both have been fine in the dishwasher (high end Bosch), but I run them on the bottom with nothing else near them.

I like the bigger bowl for the 1855, but my wife has broken two hand washing. In fairness, she is Death, Destroyer of Stemware... and we took advantage of Chris’s replacement offer. Frankly, I’m happy with both products, but I use the Grassl more, as the 1855 bowls are fantastic for Syrah, which I drink a lot of, given I’ve always got the grill going.
Instagram at @akgrill

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by Mark Y »

I don’t think it’s brand specific
I’ve broken 2 zalto, 2 glasvin and 1 grassl I had, all hand washing. When u push the envelope on thinness and weight, durability issues are inevitable.

Or maybe I should Stop hand washing :((
Y.e.

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#88 Post by Chris Freemott »

4425165C-4F51-468D-8C80-B68E7088D804.jpeg
Yes mark. Stop. LOL

FYI. I realize I can be much more cavalier than you in this regard, but here is my dishwasher with only glasses on a China setting.

Whirlpool circa 1996 machine. With a broken bottom rack. LOL. But it’s a heated dry cycle which I like and it does a very good job. But the only time these break is when I make one stand up too tall in the middle and the upper wash arm turns them to powder. Which is a super impressive sound and a complete disaster to clean.
Last edited by Chris Freemott on April 10th, 2021, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Victor Hong

#89 Post by Victor Hong »

Chris Freemott wrote: April 10th, 2021, 6:38 am 4425165C-4F51-468D-8C80-B68E7088D804.jpegYes mark. Stop. LOL

FYI. I realize I can be much mor cavalier than you in this regard, but here is my dishwasher with only glasses on a China setting.

Whirlpool circa 1996 machine. With a broken bottom rack. LOL. But it’s a heated dry cycle which I like and it does a very good job. But the only time these break is when I make one stand up too tall in the middle and the upper wash arm turns them to powder. Which is a super impressive sound and a complete disaster to clean.
My dishwasher also has a China setting, but is a 1959 model.
Spouse wants a new one, but the current has no trade-in value.
WineHunter.

Chris Freemott
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#90 Post by Chris Freemott »

Cheap bastard.
I’m shocked you actually wash the to go containers.

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

Mostly it’s just one or two glasses that need cleaning and it seems like I’d have to run it with a light load to keep enough clearance.

I’ll discuss with the boss who hates running light loads.

Peter Petersen

#92 Post by Peter Petersen »

1855 is the only glass that seems fragile. Have broken one my self. Also two people clinked 1855 glasses and fractured them. These were the very first batch and maybe more fragile than now.
All in all Grassl glasses are great! My wife even complained the other day that the glasses in a restaurant were too heavy!

Return to “Wine Talk”