Sealing White Burgundy under Regular Cork is Madness

This data would suggest so:

Background:

It seems that 2004 is when Leeuwin Estate Art Series Chardonnay was first sealed with screw caps in their home market en masse.

https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_333796/leeuwin-estate-art-series-chardonnay-2004

But not for us:

https://m.klwines.com/p/i?i=1031386

But by 2005 it seems that screw caps became standard world wide:

https://m.klwines.com/p/i?i=1039282

Could Screw Caps (or possibly DIAM) really make such a difference? Should Burgundy ditch traditional corks for good?

Incidently, the flawed bottle from the 2013 vintage just says “corked”, so it could well be from a cork-sealed bottle!

1 Like

I’ve altered the title as it was a little vague.

Quite a strong set of statistics, I’d have thought.

I had one of their Preludes a few weeks ago, and appreciated that it was in a modern closure. I just wish more of the industry would get over their fear of the Iberian cork mafioso. Leeuwin & Lobbies - Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts

“Vee don’t need your stinking screwcaps”

1 Like

Preaching to the choir, my friend - at least some of us, that is . . .

1 Like

Indeed. I haven’t had a ton of corked wines in the last year, but I have had a bunch (10+) where there was seepage up and out, and the wine was bad. But, combined, I probably had close to 20 bad wines this past year due to cork issues. Sure, the ritual of pulling a cork is nice, but I would happily give that up for less bad wine.

Chipping away, Larry
 There are many screw cap deniers.

I really don’t know how anyone can argue against strong data like this.

Title changed.

The Burgundians used regular corks for decades.
Did corks go bad or did something else change??
Are technical corks a cure for something else that went wrong??

The nice thing about using screw caps or diam etc is that you don’t have to check the bottles before you go out for a day of sales presentations.

I guess if they could identify what caused premox and fix it that would be great, but in the meantime screw caps seem the answer and maybe DIAM, too. The latter lacking the track record of screw caps.

If you follow the links you’ll see:

16 vintages under screw cap without a defective bottle from over a thousand TNs

Compared with:

31 defective TNs from around 700 TNs from traditional cork sealed bottles.

This paints a sad picture for corks.

James,

Oxidation is not just a white Burgundy problem. The Australian Industry moved on mass to screwcap in the early to mid-noughties. Problem fixed. A few of us bring this fact up regularly on this board but many people want to keep questioning why premox happens, rather than embracing an easy solution.

I actually reckon there is far more oxidation in red wines than people admit to. Screwcap fixes this. The adage ‘no great old wines, just great bottles’ was coined because of cork’s variability.

Cheers
Jeremy

2 Likes

Any wine I buy, I’d choose screwcap over cork every bottle if I had the choice.

But hardly any of them are available that way.

Well, there are some, my friend . . .

Cheers

Screwcap and DIAM are still relatively young closure alternatives (relative to how long some producers have been using natural cork for) so I can understand some winemakers’ reluctance to embrace them for their wines, especially if they command a premium.

As a consumer I appreciate winemakers that take steps in ensuring consistent wines and limiting issues like premox. Screwcaps and DIAM seem to be the prevailing solutions to many traditional closure issues. I’m always happy when I find those nowadays in my purchases and I hope to see more adoption of them. I’ve actually started noting closure types in my TNs now because I now find it a critical element in my wine buying and ageing decisions.

1 Like

There is an option on TCA free natural corks now. The downside is still 1) cost 2) they can still fail in other ways that corks fail 3) consumers can’t tell whether the producer has spent the money on them or is just using regular cork.

1 Like

Yep. There are threads on this board that are not new discussing producers using DIAM. Who is using DIAM? - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers Don Cornwell started a wiki over a decade ago to track producers with more or less premox which_producers_are_most_and_least_affected2 [Oxidized Burgundies] and has highlighted for a number of years comparing results of his annual tastings between wines finished with corks and those finished with DIAM. For example: 2011 White Burgundy Vintage Assessment Dinners – Night Two – March 14, 2019 at Drago Centro - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Is there something new?