TN: 1995 Altamura Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 1995 Altamura Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (3/29/2021)
    Loved these wines back in the day, the perfect dryness to sweet for my cab palate, at very attractive pricing! Been going through the last of my bottles cellared since release…the 94 was drinking ok 5 years ago, but nothing inspiring…after this 95, just the 91 will remain. Open in bottle for an hour…the little shorty cork did its job…bricking red plum color. Somewhat alarming nose as this has some maderized aromas, as well as dusty cedar, coffee, plum pudding, cherry liqueur, wood smoke. On the palate, BIG dose of oak spice, dried berries, dusty cedar pencil, bitter coffee. Hmmm? Color and nose seem to indicate a lighter bodied wine that might be shot…and on the palate it’s an alive beast! Tannins are still quite strong and dusty with that good dollop of oak…fruit still quite sweet with a nice dryness of licorice and currants…aged nuances of leather, earth mulch, cigar box, menthol…the air really helps integrate this wine…and it starts to come together after an hour. VERY intriguing deep spices and earth florals…cinnamon stick, coffee grounds, persimmon pudding…even some Madeira. I actually thought I was going to dump the bottle at first because it being over the hill oxed or heat damaged…but it has come together to offer a pleasurable drink! (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

My favorite vintage and first love. Glad it held together to bring some enjoyment. Still have a few '95s that should hold up (Abreu, Mondavi Reserve) but it will be a sad day for me when '95s are too much risk of well past peak to keep drinking.

Cheers!

I’m sitting on some '14 and '16 Altamura, based on this I’m going to try to resist for at least 5 more years. Thanks!

The only 90’s Altamura I have left are 2 bottles of the ‘97. Last one I had displayed big, grippy tannins & heavy oak like you mentioned.

Love that label…very classic and appealing. Sounds like a nice wine, too.

I liked the sangiovese back in the day. Haven’t had anything from them since the 2007 vintage and the cabs were heading into the over the top area for me.