TN: Drove my Chevy to the Levee

NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée Edition 168eme - France, Champagne (3/24/2021)
Lunch at Le Bil (Le Bilboquet): From 375. Always an amazing way to start any civilized affair. Lovely lemon curd, yeasty notes, solid acidity. (92 pts.)

2014 Etienne Sauzet Chevalier-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru (3/24/2021)
Lunch at Le Bil (Le Bilboquet): Pop and pour. Piercing acidity with a fruit and mineral backbone. One of the WOTN. (94 pts.)

2017 Bouchard Père et Fils Chevalier-Montrachet Domaine - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru (3/24/2021)
Lunch at Le Bil (Le Bilboquet): Pop and pour. Nose is screaming right out of the bottle. Creamy mouthfeel with a good balance of acidity. This bottle had slightly darker than expected with some advanced secondary notes you wouldn’t expect at this age. (94 pts.)

2012 Bouchard Père et Fils Chevalier-Montrachet Domaine - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru (3/24/2021)
Lunch at Le Bil (Le Bilboquet): Pop and pour. Fresh and young. Balanced fruit and acidity. Solid but not the top Chevy. (93 pts.)

2017 Domaine Michel Niellon Chevalier-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru (3/24/2021)
Lunch at Le Bil (Le Bilboquet): Pop and pour. Disappointment on this bottle. Very flat and lifeless compared to the other Chevys. (90 pts.)

2008 Bouchard Père et Fils Bonnes Mares - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Bonnes Mares Grand Cru (3/24/2021)
Lunch at Le Bil (Le Bilboquet): Pop and pour. Served blind. Tons of iron and minerality. Clearly Chambolle. Not Musigny but definite high level. I guessed 08. Lucky guess. (93 pts.)

Nice lineup. I usually feel bonnes mares tastes much more like morey than Chambolle but that’s somewhat producer dependent.

Nice job Andrew! I expect that Niellon to become quite nice in a few years. The Bouchard Chevy is always great. The Bonnes Mares from Bouchard is domaine and they take very good care in the vineyard which makes it always top notch. Nice note.

Nice set of wines, and it certainly appears that the Levee was not dry!

Ed

Andrew, where you able to put any of the Niellon in the fridge and try the next day? I know the Bouchard was bright and perky for you, but curious if time and space let the Niellon stretch its legs.

Don, Michael and others have far more experience with Neillon than I have, but I have found them less likely to be so perky when young (and, of course, if they survive the aging ordeal sans damage, showing more more beautiful subtlety then).

The levee was dry when we left! [cheers.gif]

Of Course it was…

…and good ol boys were drinking whisky and rye…not this stuff.