EMH Black Cat 2011, a classic wine from an underrated vintage

• 2011 EMH Cabernet Sauvignon Black Cat - Napa Valley, Calistoga (3/26/2021)

Question–What’s better than a fresh vegetables based meal at home with assorted appetizers and great cheese? adding pasta with some olive oil… would you like some more?
decanting for two hours EMH 11 [cheers.gif] . As with the last tasting (in 2019) , it is a rewarding experience. Truly ‘wide’ nose from PnP that evolved more over the course of the evening. In line with prior tasting, it developed secondary tastes on the palate and nose, alot of black peppers and some currant. The blackberries remain consistent with the 2019 tasting of the wine. Nice finish, even longer than I recall. It keeps growing throughout the meal. A nice way to get the weekend started and serve as an example of an outstanding wine from somewhat underrated vintage. Incorrectly underrated. It is a great ambassador to the vintage, and for EMH’s portfolio. Well Meauw! A true high end caliber for EMH classic line. Let the fruit speak :slight_smile: Just give me more.

(Holding it again at 93+ but not adding a number to avoid a single rater bias)

3 Likes

I really do love this wine from Merrill!

+1. I love this wine and went through at least a case of it last year during quarantine. I had a 2012 and although it was also good I actually preferred the 2011.

One of my favorites.

Thanks, everyone. I harvested this vintage before the rains started, which is why it is in good shape. Yes, it was a cool vintage, but my wines do not mind being picked at low Brix. 5% of the mix is 2012, which pumps up the fruit a bit in bottle. 5% of another vintage is the limit before you have to declare it non-vintage (as I did with Little Black - which is 2011 and 2012 together).

Interesting to see this about mixing the vintages. Is this a common thing done by wineries?

I have had two immaculate bottles of the 2011 EMH. It drinks very nicely.

I have never worked for another winery, but yes, I believe wineries use this method while putting together blends.

1 Like

That might be good for a thread of its own. We have enough wine makers on the board who can give input about mixing vintages.

Interesting, I did not know that at all. This 2011 EMH is really lovely, enjoyed it with Mr. Carnes in a line-up of killer wines, and this wine held its place.

I have a '13 I am looking to open up one of these days. Maybe in about 5-7 years?

If you only have one, I would hold for a few years. Drinking well now are 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017 and even 2018. If you are fortunate enough to have anything before 2011, enjoy now or hold.

How much air does the 2014 need?

Roughly when I’m timing opening mine. I’ll say that the 2011 vintage is turning out quite nicely based on some other stuff I’ve enjoyed recently.

Give all my wines at least 2 hours in the decanter for maximum pleasure.

1 Like

2015 is inquiring how long to hold? The last note on Cellartracker was 19 months ago.

Dan I have not had a 2015 in quite some time, so I can’t guide you on that one.