TN: 2018 Domaine Tempier Bandol Rosé (France, Provence, Bandol)

• 2018 Domaine Tempier Bandol Rosé - France, Provence, Bandol (3/26/2021)
    Consumed over two nights, and a breath of fresh air after a pandemic winter. Spring flowers, light, refreshing red fruits, and a touch of finishing bitterness like a tonic for the soul. So delicious, yet sadly so hard to source, like joy in the midst of tragedy.

Posted from CellarTracker

I had the '03 (drunk in '08) and loved it but nothing since. Used to be on the list at a resto in Bangor which is long gone and I haven’t seen it elsewhere.

Agreed, it’s the benchmark. The differences compared to other Provence Rosé are subtle, but palpable- a hint of bitter citrus pith on the finish and a kind of creaminess in the mouth make it unique. Don’t even get me started on how the wine just gets better and better over time if you can keep your hands off the bottles in the cellar. For me, the only other must-have rosé is the Cotat Sancerre Rosé, but that’s a tale for another time…

I buy Tempier Rose every year (just bought some 2020 pre-arrival a couple days ago). I think Chateau Pradeaux Rose is up there with it although sometimes needs a year to come together (actually, Tempier, too).

-Al

Hi Al,

I’ve seen you express enthusiasm for Clos Cibonne. Where would they fit in your scale of great rose?

I’d put it up there with these two. I don’t really score or rank wines, love all three of these, and Clos Cibonne is unique. Chateau Simone is another favorite (but lots of others, too).

-Al

I find the minty note in Pradeaux fascinating

Has this become challenging to source or difficult to source at sub-$50 pricing?

Cheers

Yes to both.

You can find the past couple vintages at $40-ish, pre-arrival (limited source, not online) was less.

-Al

Yes to the Clos Cibonne in that upper tier. It is wonderful stuff, but distribution here in So Cal is scattershot at best. When I see it, I buy it, but it’s not out there very often, so not nearly the presence in the cellar as is Tempier and Cotat.

There is a small shop near me, Paul Marcus Wines, in Rockridge (Oakland) that often carries it, both the regular and the higher end as well as the red. I’ve even found it in a high end grocery where I regularly shop, although less regularly. Haven’t been to Paul Marcus in the past year, though (pandemic and all that).

-Al

I like Pibarnon as well.

2020 Tempier Rose will be harder to source than normal, according to their NZ importer production was well down on normal levels.

Yes, another one I like and buy, also Terrebrune.

-Al

Stomper’s in Holden (near Bangor) has 3 bottles of this vintage on the shelf.