TN: 2000 Château Magdelaine (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru)

• 2000 Château Magdelaine - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (3/26/2021)
    A most elegant classically-styled Bordeaux, particularly in its weight and mouthfeel. Sandalwood, graphite, hint of mint, and red fruits that were a bit shy, making me wonder if this is either in an awkward start to a secondary phase, or past secondary entering a longer tertiary phase. That’s the only thing lacking, at the moment, from this wonderful wine. It really shines in its silkiness, so smooth yet light on the palate, perfectly enmeshed with a fine tannic structure - a thin silky robe of a mouthfeel, which makes me wonder yet again if it is pre or post secondary phase. Color is gorgeous, still a vibrant red, slight bricking on the edges.

Against my better judgment, I saved 1/3 of the bottle for this evening (stored without any gas, in the refrigerator), so I can perhaps figure out in what phase this wine currently resides, you know…for science!

A gorgeous wine…now I know why so many have been pushing me toward Chateau Magdelaine, knowing what I appreciate in Bordeaux, as this is spot on in my Bordeaux wheelhouse. I will be waiting decades to open my others in the cellar, as they are much younger.

2 Likes

Great description. Delighted someone decent has been turned onto it, unlike some of the Florida low lifes who are buying up a storm.

HAHA, says the man that has become one of my best sources!

Tremendous note, Todd. I personally think this wine needs 5 more years. It’s an excellent vintage of Magdelaine.

I’ll continue my research tonight, as I want to see if I can coax the fruit out a bit more, as now I’m leaning (based on WB notes I’ve been reading) toward this being EARLY secondary, where the fruit is just starting to emerge from slumber, rather than the reverse.

This particular bottle was gifted to me by a very handsome attorney in Florida - what a coincidence! I decided it was the perfect time to try Chateau Magdelaine, which I’ve LONG been wanting to try, as last night was my birthday dinner with the family (and my actual 50th birthday).

If only I had been gifted a '71 Magdelaine instead, wtf! I need better friends!

Sorry buddy, I only have 1970s, which coincidentally, I am popping one tonight with a bestie, MarcF

One of SO many besties!!!

Will MarcF be bringing the minivan?

Sadly, yes. I’m making him park it by the main gate for the workers.

Great note. I completely agree, my last bottle was just like yours, Todd. And I agree that as good as the 2000 is now, it’s best days are to come.

(Love the 70 Magdelaine)

Oof, I’m looking forward to that note as I’ve got a couple.

Happy Birthday Old Timer! Get down here so we can cruise in style!! :crazy_face:

Caravans get no respect :disappointed:

Great note, Todd, thanks - and happy birthday! I got some recently following a recommendation from that same Florida cyclist and was wondering whether to open one - I’ll wait a bit longer.

The 2000 Magdelaine is another triumph for the fabled property. It’s so good.

I drank 2 of these in last year-and-a-half and am thankful that the remaining 4 are in my remote storage where it’s a hassle to get bottles out from.

Wait.

That studly cyclist with the monster quads is 100% right. Todd idolizes him.

Great description of this beautiful wine.
It will be better than the (current) 1970 in 30 years

Happy Birthday, Todd!

Not sure what you else you have in the cellar younger than 2000, but some are surprisingly open and delicious. That said, the decent vintages really do continue to get better and better with age.

I think 1998 is probably the finest Magdelaine I have tasted.

That’s a bold prediction that I hope I’m still around to test. (Assuming I can still smell when I’m 80.)

I will be 94. I am not sure you and I can remember how great the 70 tasted in 2021 champagne.gif
But we can test them both in 10 years?

You’ve now seen what true ‘monster quads’ look like, buddy…