Recommend some slightly "riper" Côtes du Rhône...

My wife and I just drank our last bottle of the 2018 Les Vignerons d’Estézargues Côtes du Rhône Cuvée des Galets. We both loved it. I can’t find it anywhere and even other vintages are scarce. So, my thought was to ask you all about wines you might think are of a similar profile. I like some CdR, dont’d drink a ton of it, but some come off as overly-rustic. The only technical uniqueness that my inexperienced mind can come up with is that this particular wine is 14.5% alcohol and that might be a defining characteristic that I like in a Côtes du Rhône. Perhaps it’s something else, but what wines might be more readily available and similar to this particular wine? FWIW, here are my two TNs:

Last night:

• 2018 Les Vignerons d’Estézargues Côtes du Rhône Cuvée des Galets - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (3/23/2021)
    Why can’t I find more of this anywhere?!? W-S Pro shows no results, darn it. Anyway, this is fantastic. Sure, it’s on the riper side for a CdR, but it shows it so well. Vibrant raspberry fruit with subtle spice and zero heat. Absolutely delicious. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

From April 9, 2020:

• 2018 Les Vignerons d’Estézargues Côtes du Rhône Cuvée des Galets - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (4/9/2020)
    What a killer value and, regardless of price, one of the better CdR I’ve had in a while. I could smell the wine as I pulled the cork…always a good sign. Chock full of raspberry coulis, a touch of chicory spice, herb. Juicy and delicious. My wife turned to me and said, “What IS this? This is really good.” (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Brandon,

What price ranges are you looking for? You may want to look for some good CA examples that might show the ‘ripeness’ without going over the top.

Cheers

This appears to be from a coop. Since the price is quite low, I’d guess it has a high proportion of grenache (maybe 85%-plus). That’s consistent with the strong raspberry notes.

A lot of CdRs today have a significant portion of syrah. That yields a darker and more tannic wine, with darker, less reddish fruit – which can be a bit coarse/rustic. (Guigal’s widely available CdR, for instance, is generally 50% syrah now.)

I would guess that what you like is not really ripeness, but less tannin and more fruit.

From your descriptions, I’d suggest trying Charvin’s CdR, which is 80% grenache. Charvin is a top Chateauneuf producer. Their CdR runs $18-$25, and it has been outstanding in each vintage I’ve tasted, from 2014-18. It’s very approachable on release, but I’ve stashed some away from several vintages because it has good acidity and some tannin, which should sustain it. It certainly isn’t on the ripe end of the scale by Southern Rhone standards, but there are buckets of raspberry and strawberry in there. (Chambers St. has a nice write-up here.)

Paul Autard 2018 CDR might meet your request. The mouvedre (not too common in cdrs I’ve been told) makes this a richer wine with more fruit. Price is right as well.

Not from personal experience, but I’ve seen people on here mention similar notes regarding the Saint Cosme CdR, that’s pretty readily available for about 15 bucks.

I came here to suggest Charvin as well. I had the '17 last year and found it very dense and powerful for a CdR, in need of some time.

Also a big fan of Coudoulet de Beaucastel. For readily available at a slightly lower price point, Chave’s Mon Coeur is pretty good.

The Charvin '17 is drinking beautifully right now – all strawberries on the nose. Just had one last week. I was less certain of it a year ago, but it has proved itself. I also had my doubts about the '18 at first – seemed a bit big. But it has come into balance, too.

The Chave Mon Coeur is 50% syrah, so it’s a very different wine.

I love the Charvin CdR and buy it every year, but it is more balanced and tannic than a lot of CdR. For riper wines, I would try one of the ones made by Domaine de La Janasse or Clos du Cailioux. The latter is a Cambie wine, or was at any rate, and the former is in a riper style as well. Neither are my favorites, but both are well made wines and in a style the OP may prefer.

Yep, good choice for a slightly riper (but by no means over the top) CdR

Exactly what I was thinking given the request.

I think of Beaucastel and Charvin as more for old world palates. I personably drink a lot of these, the CDRs are excellent.

Thank you all…great suggestions so far!

Relating to the posts immediately above, I have a TN in CT on the 2010 Saint Cosme Côtes du Rhône Les Deux Albion and liked it then.

I can’t find any of the Charvin in the Seattle market unfortunately, as I’d really like to try it. I think some of the earlier posts suggesting a higher ration of Grenache are onto something, as I strongly associate the raspberry/strawberry flavors with the variety. Too many domestic Grenache-heavy blends come across as too candied and simple at the price point I’m seeking here (sub-$20).

Yes, the Coudolet de Beaucastel is usually a pretty dense wine, and can be tannic. Charvin is a bit atypical in its acidity, but more like what CdR used to be.

While Brandon referred to “riper” CdRs in his subject heading, I would guess that the Les Vignerons d’Estézargues - Cuvée des Galets is not at the riper end of the scale. It retails for as little as $7-8 in Europe and ~$15 in North America, if you can find it.

That fact and his remark that he’s found some CdRs rather rustic (which suggested more extracted and/or tannic), made me think that what he liked may well have been a lighter bodied, fruitier wine. In my experience, that’s what you get from a lot of less expensive producers. That’s out of fashion, but I often like those.

So I’d pay less attention to the word “riper” he put in quotes and more to what it was he drunk and liked: an inexpensively, heavily grenache CdR.

I haven’t had either in years, but you might try Jaboulet’s Parallele 45 or the Perrin La Vieille Ferme Rouge (technically a Ventoux, not a CdR, made by the family that owns Ch. Beaucastel). I’m often amazed at how good the Vieille Ferme is. Those tended to be in a pretty open, fruity style and they are widely available. Guigal’s CdR, which is also ubiquitous, is much more structured and less fruity because of it’s more than 50% syrah and mourvedre.

Alain Voge Cotes du Rhone Les Peyrouses is pretty ripe in my opinion.

That’s Northern Rhone – all syrah, I believe. A pretty different beast.

Ah true. Didn’t see the wines listed in the original post. Nonetheless good qpr wine.

while not a CdR, the costco gigondas at $15 is a solid bottle. from total wine I have liked the H to H CdR. Used to be $10 but now i think its $12. with one of their coupons, its under $11 and solid. I believe its made by Amadieu.

Saint Cosme Côtes du Rhône

I always find these on every vintage to have a slightly riper style due to the 100% Syrah.

I think you’ve nailed it, John. I’m pretty poor at conveying exactly what makes me like some wines, but that seems right. It wasn’t tannic at all and certainly wasn’t very extracted. My one trigger that made me think “riper” was the 14.5%. Thanks for your excellent summary.

Cellier des Dauphins Reserve CdR might be worth pursuing. 60/40 Grenache/Syrah, $13 (at K&L, at least), and one of the few CdRs I’ve tried recently that I was compelled to reorder. Maybe my taste is just changing, or I’m just buying the wrong stuff, but lately I’ve found a lot of CdRs I’ve opened to be dull and lacking in comparison to good value Vacqueyras or Gigondas for 5 bucks more.