TN: 2004 Robert Foley Claret (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2004 Robert Foley Claret - USA, California, Napa Valley (3/21/2021)
    Bought from Michel Aboobooboo 8-10 years ago when his palate changed and he decided he liked wimpy wines instead. Still a tannic monster at it approaches leaving its teen years. I used the Durand because of the age but the cork was tight, in perfect condition, and at most 1 mm of wine infusion. Decanted an hour in advance. This bottle has been sitting in the same spot, label up, for about 7 years and there was a lot of sediment stuck to the side, so decant carefully.

Color was dark and impenetrable with no sign of age. I was expecting cherry, but the fruit was notably plum. Fresh plum, not prune-ish at all. My son and I both noted a bit of madeira aroma on the nose when we poured it into the glass after the decant, but it disappeared and did not affect the palate. Seemed odd in light of the decant. The palate was dark fruit, mainly plum with a bit of dark berry. Reported to be a Bordeaux blend (I could not find a 2004 tech sheet but the 2015 is 80% Cab/17%Merlot/3% Petite Verdot), but none of either the horsiness or the leather of a Bordeaux blend of the same age. This was fruit driven without being jammy, easy to drink and velvety smooth (merlot?) despite the fierce tannin (cabernet), and a very light roasted component (the petite verdot?). There was a very light floral component to it. I would say the acidity was higher than everage, but not excessive. Finish was long and the flavor stayed in the mouth well after swallowing. I have one more and based upon the tannin, I think I’ll wait 5 years. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I liked the 03 but they are big style wines.

2003 Robert Foley Claret - USA, California, Napa Valley (9/27/2014)
Young and improved over the night. Big style with dark fruit, spices, oak, vanilla and floral notes. Evolved over the course of the night. Long finish and cellar for a few more years. (92 points)

Jay,

How do you post notes from CT into WB? I can’t figure it out.

Thanks,

Lonnie

Jay, I believe the 2004 Claret was about 10-12% Merlot and the balance Cabernet Sauvignon.

Post 14000 posts on WB and it will come to you in your sleep, OR (I use Internet Computer access. I can’t speak to smart phone apps, I’m too old for that)

In the upper right corner of your TN, after you have completed it and posted it to CT, there is a TINY down facing triangle that old people like me have trouble seeing. Click on that and down come three choices. Click on post to other sites. You have a variety of choices of where to post, so click on Wineberserkers. In the top box, check the first two boxes and probably the fourth, at your option. I leave out the third box, which is to include the label, unless there is a reason to include the label (e.g., SQN label art). Then just click continue etc. Sometimes there is some weirdness and you have to log back in while posting the TN. I asked Todd about that years ago and the solution has something to do with clearing your cache, but I do not recall what it is, so I just bull my way through until it posts, sometimes logging in on one tab and then posting on a different tab. I am sure Todd will help if you still have issues. Just don’t tell him I referred you to him. He still holds a grudge because I posted that photo of him in flip flops cleaning my pool at a Berserkerfest.

Nice TN, Jay. I’ve only got a magnum of 2001 left and the last bottle I had in 2016 was great but, like your wine above, didn’t show much age at 15.