Help me pick a Champagne for my wife's birthday

Next weekend, we’re having a caviar brunch at Wally’s in Santa Monica. Looking over their list, I’ve narrowed it down to:

$185 Krug GC 168 eme; probably tight out of a 750.
$130 2006 Billecart Salmon Nicolas-François Billecart is a great price. (I love the 2002 but the price on the 2006 is very attractive. We opened a corked bottle of the 2006 earlier this week). Still, the 2002 is very tempting at $210
$155 2012 Vilmart Couer de Cuvée; I love this wine, but even my 08’s are too young. Is the 2012 drinking well now or shut down tight?
$150 2010 Vilmart Couer de Cuvée; one of the few '10s I bought. Good even in challenging vintages. How’s it drinking today?
2012 Vilmart Emotion Rosé
$150 NV Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle 23rd Iteration. I love Grand Siecle, and this is from three great vintages. The last time I opened one it was beautiful but young.

I hope it’s not gauche to list the prices, but damn, it’s been a year since we’ve celebrated anything and I’ve been working my tail off. I’m not sure why I feel the need to rationalize an extravagance…

Tell me what you’d order and why.

Cheers,
Warren

12 Vilmart cdc; best value and drinking great atm

1 Like

The Perrier!

1 Like

champagne.gif

The Perrier!

Tell her the Berserkers wish you both the best!

1 Like

Grand Siecle or the 2002 Nicolas-Francois.

1 Like

Is that really a full rather than half bottle price for the krug?

On 12/32/19 we opened a 2010 & 2008 Vilmart CdC side by side and the 2010 was the clear winner. I would imagine that it’s only improved over time.

1 Like

I’d be happy to exchange 10 Vilmart CDC for 08.

Wally’s is a wine store that also has a restaurant attached.

I already drank the 2008’s that I had. I did not buy that many.

I think the 08 is a wine that needs time. 10 is certainly ready to drink. 12 seems to drink well early for Cristal and cdc.

You’d probably like the 10 Dom which I also didn’t love. Brad baker loved it though.

“Help me pick a Champagne for my wife’s birthday”
Not as insightful as the others but… I would probably pick the one I think she would enjoy best.

For a birthday I’d pick something you know you’ll both love. You don’t want a wine that neither of you like to get in the way of that celebration

Based on the list, I’d say that’s the 02 BS or 06 BS.

1 Like

The 2006 Nicky is a step down from the 2002 in my opinion. I’ve been through three of each over the past couple of years and I think out of that group I’d probably eat the bump and buy the 2002 at $210. LPGS should be delicious too.

1 Like

Warren,

What is the price on the 2012 Vilmart Emotion Rose?

I’ll play Warren. Here’s my pecking order:

$185 Krug GC 168 eme- yes it’s young, but oh so wondrous and the best of the bunch

$130 2006 Billecart Salmon Nicolas-François Billecart- make up for the corked one

$155 2012 Vilmart Couer de Cuvée- personal fav and yes, it’s also young, but so giving

$150 NV Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle 23rd Iteration- for all you mention, it’s a winner

$150 2010 Vilmart Couer de Cuvée- great 5th choice

2012 Vilmart Emotion Rosé- last only because it’s the only rose, perhaps as tasty as any others, but maybe not the stigma of serving a Krug or Nic-Fran.

Enjoy the occasion and deserved time off to play.

1 Like

If I were in your place, the Emotion would get the pick. We generally prefer Rose at our address, particularly when young. There’s no wrong answer to the question you pose of course.

Enjoy,
fred

1 Like

For me the '10 vilmart cdc is a big step down from the Krug 168 and the Nicolas François 2002. I’ve had it two or three times in the last year. The 08 cdc was really tight when I had it a couple of years ago.

I would get the Krug or the Nicholas François.

1 Like

I’d go the Grand Siecle.

1 Like