In praise of damp cellars

Most of my wine is kept in carefully regulated warehouses. Temperature and humidity are set to best age the wines in what is considered optimal conditions, and I sleep easy at night knowing that I have done my best to keep the wines as close to pristine as possible.

And yet, when I buy I love damp damaged labels. I am always amazed at the levels of the wine, which even after several decades are into the neck. I make sure the damage is not due to flooding and gladly buy. It adds to my pleasure that I can often buy these at a decent discount, since the Asian market puts a premium on pristine labels. And almost without fail, these wines are great examples of what they are supposed to be.

These are some wines

1 Like

Will try again

Cannot copy the damned thing.

[wow.gif] bet you like dark cellars too!

I do. And I have wasted ten minutes trying to download a perfectly good photograph onto here.

Damp cellars matter.

Do you have no filter? Or, conscious?

I really enjoy your economic and financial commentary, as well as your non-sarcastic wine posts. But, I have to be honest and say many of your other posts in recent months seem to have moved towards cheap attempts at edgy humor that at best fall short and at worst are offensive. For the sake of allowing us to enjoy your other insight stop trying to provide the punchlines.

2 Likes

Okay, Karen.

2 Likes

While I’ve never understood Victor’s noodle references, in terms of cellars, you don’t want to actually live with one, as in above one (in a house), as mold is no laughing matter and can cause an entire array of health problems.

Victor has been acting/posting like this on wine boards for 20+ years. Either learn to deal with it or put him on ignore. He ain’t going to change…

I couldn’t agree more with Mark - labels damaged by damp almost always have high levels and are of the highest quality, yet sell at auction at a discount. Luckily, few seem to realize this is the case.

I went to an apartment on Long Island to buy a large cellar with lots of better Classified Growths.
The apartment was air conditioned, the wines were on long shelves spanning the living room and dining room.
All bottles had low fills. Some of that liquid flowing/dripping out of the air conditioning unit was quite the classified cuvee.
The labels were great tho.

You’re probably right and I’m probably just spitting into the wind. But, rather than be a “Karen” and complain to the management I thought I’d take a moment and speak out about posts that adds nothing to the conversation and are offensive. I believe the only way our society will move forward is for plain and direct talk that doesn’t resort to name calling or demeans either side.

Oh well. Back to posting about sports, food and wine.

I did not take offense. I’m kind of fond of Victor…