TN: A Picpoul & Two Zins...(short/boring)

Tried these three last night:

1. Forlorn-Hope Picpoul RorickVnyd/CalaverasCnty (12.27%) Murphys 2014: Med.gold color; strong appley/pear bit herbal/grassy/SauvBlanc-like slight earthy bit new mown hay/Kansas hayloft interesting nose; quite tart/tangy/bit steely rather apple/pear/herbal/grassy/haymow some earthy/chalky/mineral little fruit flavor; med.long quite tart/tangy/metallic light apple/pear rather mineral/stony/chalky slight herbal/grassy rather lean finish; rather a lip-stinger true to its name; a rather lean/mineral/steely white w/ little fruit that offers up little in the way of joy.

1. Arnot-Roberts Zin KirschenmannVnyd/MokelumneRiver/Lodi (13.5%; 3 brls) Healdsburg 2019: Med.light color; strong earthy/loamy/Lodi/mushroomy very light raspberry/Zin bit emaciated nose; quite tart/tangy/lean bit prickly light raspberry/Zin/slight spicy some earthy/Lodi/loamy/mushroomy bit dusty/OV rather lean/thin/eviscerated/spare flavor w/ light tangy tannins; med.short quite lean/tart/tangy/emaciated light raspberry/Zin some earthy/Lodi/loamy/mushroomy finish w/ light tannins; a mean little Zin that speaks mostly of Lodi Zin in a high-pitched/whiney voice; an ugly little Zin true to the A-R spare/lean style; offers up little pleasure.

And desperate for something good, I cracked:
3. Lagier-Meredith Tribidrag MtVeeder/NapaVlly RW (15.3%) 2013: Quite dark color w/ no bricking; very strong Zin/blackberry/boysenberry/licorice very classic MtVeeder spicy/peppery light pencilly/toasty/Fr.oak fairly complex beautiful peppery/Zin nose; quite tart/tangy quite rich/structured very strong MtVeeder spicy/peppery/blackberry/boysenberry/Zin some toasty/Fr.oak rather wirey/crunchy fairly complex lovely flavor w/ ample brisk tannins; very long/lingering very strong Zin/blackberry/boysenberry/licorice quite MtVeeder/peppery/very spicy quite structured/chewey some toasty/Fr.oak complex finish w/ ample tannins; starting to show a bit of evolution but quite structured that belies the 15.3 alcohol; still needs age to resolve the tannins; seems a bit awkward/angular right now but packed w/ flavor & aromatics; reminds a bit of MikeBernstein’s MtVeederWnry Zins but more structure but same peppery spiciness; a Zin built for the long haul.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Arnot-Roberts: This Zin was not a bad wine, but in a style that does not at all work w/ Zin. I’m about to give up on the A-R reds. The whites work a lot better w/ this style.
    Tom

Nice notes Tom. Those Lagier-Meredith ‘Tribidrags’ are something. ‘Belies the alcohol’ is right - I’ve never had any hint on the palate that these are 15%+ wines.

I’m with you on the A-R reds - just too lean and mean for me. Also agree with the 2013 structure comment - I am working my way through the rest of my 2013’s and really wonder if they will ever come around - even if held for several more years. I always question why these structured vintages garner such high praise, but that is just me. Cheers!

Tom, you need to try the Highlawn Picpoul. Seriously. Imagine the grape made in the style of a great Chablis.

Tiny label from a techie wine geek, who interned with Abe Schoener, Scott Shapley and Ed Kurtzman. Makes wines at Ed’s place. No market presence because his wine sells out to a close circle, maybe 2 barrels per wines. Rorick Albarino, Halcon Syrah, Theopolis PS, Poor Ranch Zin, this Terra Alta (Bokisch) Picpoul.

I also agree on that A-R. The 2017 was simply awful. It’s too bad I have a second bottle.

Maitre de Chai Stampede Vineyard Zin from Lodi is perhaps the faith-restorer to all your A-R Zin let-downs. A fantastic wine.

Speaking fo A-R, I had their Trousseau the other day and wasn’t feeling it either, but I did have a very nice Syrah from them. I just got on their list, so will explore a little further. Never popped any of the whites yet.