Recommendations for a California Syrah tasting?

My coworkers and I will soon all be vaccinated and I am starting to think about planning a tasting for us to go through some California Syrah together. And I know there will be a ton of strong recommendations from this community. I’d like to keep things more on the savory/leaner styles than the opulent/plush/new oak styles, but welcome any recommendations. It’d be extra helpful to know a little about the wines being recommended, stylistically, to help plan and structure the tasting. Price is <$50 per bottle.

So far I’m thinking of including Pax, Arnot Roberts, Peay, Halcon, Drew, Qupé (pre-2016), Copain (pre-2016), Edmunds St John, and Desire Lines. I’m giving away my location here. Most of the Paso Syrahs I’ve had have been too big for me, most of the Santa Lucia Highlands likewise (which surprised me), and the Foothills inconsistent - including Terre Rouge. I am convinced that I’m missing some gems in Santa Barbara County and probably the Santa Cruz Mtns, too. Probably everywhere, really.

And if anyone has any suggestions for a couple non-California wines to throw in for fun, in the $25-50 price range, I’d love to hear those too.

Thanks!

If peay go Les Titans

1 Like

Go North, young man.

I wholeheartedly recommend Cabot Syrah from Humboldt County. John Cabot is a longtime Berserker. This year’s offer was aged Syrah (2007-2012 iirc) plus newer stuff from the 2016 vintage. Super savory; think olives, bacon, etc. Delicious!

1 Like

Lagier Meredith. Recent notes here indicate that the 2016 is drinking well young.

2 Likes

Bedrock makes a nice Syrah that I wouldn’t call over the top.

Same for Carlisle.

Might seek out Wilde Farm. Another BD participant. They make a Syrah from Halcon vineyard.

If you decide to venture into WA I’m a big fan of the Gramercy Syrah.

I like your list, quite solid. For a non-California ringer to throw into that lineup, and within your price range, try a Domaine Faury St Joseph Vieille Vignes.

1 Like

I would put Model Farm on the US list. Very much in the same vein as Halcon.

And while I love Carlisle’s syrahs, they would not fit the same mold as many of the others you have mentioned (you wouldn’t mistake for a Rhone). However, consider Failla’s Hudson as a nice crossover wine (clearly a CA version, but nicely framed, lower alcohol). The same could be said for Radio Coteau, if you can find them and both would be toward the upper end on the price spectrum.

As for widely available French versions, Alain Graillot’s Crozes hermitage is $30-40 and classic. Domaine Faury gets my vote as well for St. Joseph

Bedrock bien nacido x-block and weill

I second Lagier-Meredith as an addition to your already fine initial list.

Ojai, Santa Barbara and SVD, all less than $50.
Another vote for Lagier Meredith.

Washington- Rotie Northern Red, Efeste Joulie Bouche, Mark Ryan Lost Soul.

Lots of good recommendations from others. I would second Lagier Meredith. I definitely like Halcon. The one other CA syrah that I have had that has not been mentioned, which is in your price range but not sure how easy it is to find, is Bonny Doon’s Bien Nacido X-block. I bought a few when they had a big sale, and am letting them sleep, as they seem to be made for the long haul. I used to think that WA made better syrah than CA, but I think they both produce excellent versions – though there is more bad (i.e. atypical) over the top syrah in CA than WA – perhaps not too surprising as CA has so many more wineries.

Good luck with the tasting. It sounds like one many of us would like!

Good selection and suggestions. One I would try to add is Jolie Laide Syrah, Halcon Vineyard. Same site as Halcon and having two producers from the same site is always interesting.

Tom

Good recommendations above. I would add Jaffurs.

Arnot Roberts Clary Ranch, best with 5-10 years of age on it. Pepper, bacon, and umami flavors. Old school northern Rhone style. Hard to pick out in a Northern Rhone tasting with the likes of Gonon, Ogier, and Jasmin.

1 Like

I would definitely consider Ojai, along with Piedrasassi’s Rim Rock Vyd. Also look at Holus Bolus - Peter and Amy are doing great stuff. And consider Samsara and Melville. Reach out if I can offer help with SBC producers. . .

Myriad or Quivet Las Madres Whole Cluster with at least 5 years on them.
Benevolent Neglect Las Madres, Belharra Las Madres, Apsara Las Madres.

Do you see a trend?

+1 on Larry’s suggestion of Melville. I think Bottle Barn carries it.

2nd this. Also, add Briceland Ishi Pishi Ranch.

Tasted these wines last week for the first time. Had the Halcon Syrah and the Shake Ridge GSM. Really enjoyed both.

The owner/winemaker worked with Pax at Wind Gap. Would be fun to do a Jolie Laide and Wilde Farm (made by Pax) tasting and then throw in Halcon to see how the house expresses their vineyard. And, maybe add Pax & Wind Gap to see some different sites same winemakers.

I picked up a bottle of 2018 Melville Donna’s at the winery last week and it was awesome. Day one, decanted about 1/3 bottle and it was good but pretty tight. Day 3, decanted the rest for a few hours and it was amazing. $50 on the winery list. Their estate syrah is IMO up there in quality in every way, maybe preferred in some settings.

1 Like