What wine did you serve at your wedding ceremony and... would you serve it again?

A nice tasting note on the JP Brun Moulin-à-Vent had me reminisce about my wedding ceremony. It was a wine I had picked for dinner at our ceremony in Canada.

If memory serves me right, following is what we served at our ceremonies.

In France, we had Champagne for the reception but (luckily) it was offered by my father-in-law and (unfortunately) I can’t remember what it was for the life of me. I just know there was enough that it kept being served all the way through the night. The red and white we had to select from the venue’s wine list which was rather limited for the number of bottles we needed. So we ended up with Thierry Chancelle Saumur Blanc and Thierry Chancelle Saumur-Champigny. I remember that both were decent but they would have needed air and there was none of that happening…! After the meal, we had a full bar including some of my wife’s grandma’s eau-de-vie in antique “bocaux” that varied in size from 750ml all the way to 6 liters. That was a hit.

In Canada, we did nano-brewery (yes, that’s a thing) beers for the cocktail. With dinner, we served the Jean-Paul Brun Terres Dorées Moulin-à-Vent and for the whites, Château de la Greffière Saint-Véran and Mâcon La Roche-Vineuse Les Ronzettes. We also had an open bar throughout the event but my grandma’s didn’t make moonshine (why grandma, why?).

Would I pick the same wines again? Probably not. But who cares? I don’t really remember the wines being the highlight of that day… at least for me.

I’m curious as to what others served at their wedding.

Also, I did a quick search but if this has already been discussed in a topic past, sorry.

1 Like

Shoooot we served cases of 2010 Rivers Marie Sonoma Coast Pinot and 2010 Drouhin Macon

Do it again in a heart beat.

Also a monster open bar.

Varnier-Fanniere BdB Grand Cru Champagne Brut, magnums only. Great champagne for this kind of setting, especially when having your own label.
Regular (75cl) bottles (one each) with same label were handed out to our guests for keeps/enjoying at home at a later date.

Unfortunately there weren’t a lot of wine drinkers on either side of our family so a large open bar was our service of choice. They served a small selection of reds and whites but they were definitely not anything to write home about.

On a side note, I was fairly “tired” from having “a few drinks”‘that turned into a late night affair with my groomsman so drinking that day was not on my list of things to do :grinning:.

I guess that doesn’t really add to the post but I thought I would share.

We did '00 Chateau Margaux and '95 La Tache. Yes, we would do it again.

1 Like

Vichon Chardonnay & Cabernet! Low-end country club fare from the late ‘90s.
We were broke, in our mid-20s and it was the club’s high-volume banquet wine. I remember thinking the chard smelled like pee.
Sure I’d serve it again as a joke! But not because we liked it. In the years following our wedding, I distinctly remember declining Vichon wine at other events.

Same here, we were in our 20s, no money (literally, we did the free wedding that gets offered once a week on Wednesday morning). But we are cat-people, so at least we drank some nice labels! [cheers.gif]

And 20+ years later, I’d definitely drink something else if I’d ever have to do my wedding again. But that’s not happening.

20s and poor as well. Wine was from the Winery I was working at then with custom labels for the wedding. Decent enough but nothing I would repeat now. Still have one bottle of the Chardonnay in the cellar but no plans to open it as it should be long past dead.

The late Gary Andrus very generously offered:

1985 Andrus Reserve
1992 Stag’s Leap Chardonnay
1996 Archery Summit Premier Cuvèe
1998 Archery Summit Vireton

We added VC Yellow Label

It was a great day in 1998 and we are forever grateful.

2000 Calon Segur
2002 Dom
Krug MV (looks like 2002 base)
2007 Beaucastel
2001 Rieussec

Sothern Baptist wedding…so nothing.

Damn that’s big!!

My wife and I had a very large wedding, so no ability to serve bottles of that magnitude, but we did score with a Bordeaux selection that I made: **1990 Château Larose-**Trintaudon. We got married in 1996, But with this excellent, solar vintage, it was already showing very well. I really like this wine in the 1990 vintage, and other more similar vintages of recent note. It is a solid Medoc.

Like fu, we also had a wide open bar, which for our young crowd, was frankly the bigger hit.

I second that brother bu3ker.

It was clear. Pay for your own wedding if you want booze. We chose booze the night before and the honeymoon after.

1 Like

No memory of the wine, but we did toast with Taittinger.

2010 Seven Hills Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley…still have 3 leftover bottles in storage from the ceremony
2012 Chateau Guiraud Le G Sec

But similar to above, also an open bar which proved very very popular

Whatever the house pour was in 1988 at the since-demolished banquet center my FiL picked out. Given the times, I suspect the “blush”/white zin option was the most popular. Of course, we weren’t into wine at the time and had no money to pay for an upgrade even if we were, and my FiL sure wasn’t going to spring for it, so “would I serve it again” is pretty academic.

Ha, 2010 Drouhin Macon here as well! For the red, we had 2010 Clos des Lumieres Cotes-du-Rhone. And Gruet for sparking (when Gruet was still good). Would definitely do these again!

We only had 9 people at our wedding, including the two of us. We drank a magnum of 1996 Pommery Cuvee Louise before/during/after the ceremony followed by a life-altering magnum of 1975 Deutz Blanc de Blancs Vinotheque and a few bottles of Pieropan Soave and something red that I don’t remember off the list at Marea during lunch.

If I could do the whole thing again, I’d drink the same wines and invite fewer people. 7 fewer would be ideal.

2008 Gimonnet Special Club
1996 Baumard Quarts De Chaume
2009 Bizkot Puligny Montrachet
2014 Brick House Gamay Noir
2003 Gaillard Cote Rotie

This was at The Inn at Little Washington, and I was given a very tight wine budget, but all these wines worked great with their respective food pairings. I’d definitely do it again.

We were married in 1990, paying mostly out of our own pocket, with 175 guests. The reception was at a hotel in Pacifica, on Rockaway Beach, and we chose to bring in our own bottles and pay corkage, rather than purchase directly from the hotel. To minimize expenses and ensure some degree of quality we went to K&L and Joe Z. had a nice assortment of magnums, both red and white. I don’t remember what they were but the two reds were a California Cab and a Bordeaux, and everyone liked them. Whatever bottles were remaining after we left the reception were consumed by my former college buddies. They took some linens, silverware, stemware, and the remaining wine, ordered some pizza and had a great evening out on the beach, on a clear late summer evening, which is rare in Pacifica!

Ed