TN Chateau Magdelaine 2008

Was curious to try this winery after reading about it on this board. I’ve bought a few vintages to try (70, 95, 00) and this 08.

We didn’t have much time to decant so used very large glasses (Sophienwald Grand Cru BX) and wine was ready to go upon pouring. Absolutely delicious stuff! I know the vintage isn’t that highly rated, but this worked really well for me. Piles of black fruit, some bayleaf and maybe a bit of cedar. Too young for any significant tertiary notes, but very drinkable now. Oak influence wasn’t obvious and at no moment did I feel it was too heavy or warm. Overall, great impression and I’ll be looking to further backfill.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks! I just got in some 08s but have not tried them. What I can say is that Magdelaine does shine in vintages that are not often heralded. I popped my fourth bottle of 2011 last night. While not coming considered a strong vintage - though Pomerol made some excellent stuff - this Magdelaine fires. Old world goodness with bounds of red cherry fruit, herbs and dry earth, and an intriguing minty top note. It’s approachable now. Funny when you consider that 2000 and 1995 need more time! A true shame that this is the last vintage of this classic stalwart.

Sophienwald Grand Cru BX

They produce some dope glasses, I was actually looking for some local

1 Like

Marx grab me some as well when you find them.

Normally I would be upset at this. Another convert, and now discussing it on the boards. But before my last posts, I decided I needed to buy a ton of it before it disappeared. Luckily I did, as apparently there are a couple of buyers on the loose who have been sucking up most of the wine from my European suppliers, with orders for more.

It always seems a little strange when somebody instantly gets Magdelaine. I didn’t. It took a few bottles before I came to love it. It was austere, it did not come at you. There was nothing effusive about it, it was like the guest at the party that hangs back while the more socially adept work the room. But later you come back to it, and realize how much substance there is, and once there, you know you have a valued friend.

A great note. I like 2008, it’s reputation will never be that good. It was a difficult year financially in Bordeaux, and any positive press was lost in the critical praise for 2009/2010. But there is a lot of great wine there, and Magdelaine is particularly good.

I am glad you are on board.

I’ll try to keep the secret Mark :slight_smile:
Honestly, I don’t think this is something I could serve to many friends, as they’d struggled to get the delicate, multilayered balance I so enjoy in it. I learned that when enthusiastically trying to sell the virtues of Bel Air Marquis d’Aligre. Only one of them sort of got it, the rest thought it thin and austere. But good, that should keep the supply coming and the prices gentle.

For Robert and Marc above: I’m obviously biased on the glasses ( I import them), but they work exceptionally well!

Very cool Arjan…I know there are a lot Zalto fans on here…how would u compare the 2?

Remember in 2013 when K&L was discounting a big batch of the 08 Magdelaine for $45??? And I only bought 4???

Hi, I’m active on this board in my capacity as wine lover and am trying to keep my ITB activities out of it a bit, but can say the following:
Both Zalto and Sophienwald are excellent handmade glasses made in artisanal workshops in Europe. The Sophienwald ones are slightly more angular than the Zalto ones and we have an additional line called Grand Cru that is quite a bit larger than the regular ones. I’m particularly fond of the Bordeaux one, which is very expressive without diluting the aromas and flavors. Hope that helps!

I just bought some for around $85. Still not a bad deal given the quality.

Ok…thanx sir…I was looking at the Phoenix series…I will try to find the Grand Cru.

Yea just in early 2019, I bought some 2011s on sale at Wally’s for $45, recently I paid double for it, lol. I blame you all. :wink:

I only bought one from them :frowning:

Prices are getting higher for sure.

Fuqn Alfert comes on here spouting his prosaic tasting notes and drives up the asking price of all my favorite wines!!! Tell u what, if I ever see a G’damn Woodland dancing Saytr I’m going to kick it right in the nuts.

Marc
Bite the bullet. Get off your butt and go crazy. Buy some more Magdelaine, so many cases that it hurts. The benefits when you weigh them against a few weeks of a zero balance at the bank makes it more than worthwhile.

I sleep better at night. No more nightmares fearing somebody somewhere is posting notes or buying the wines while I am asleep. You wake up invigorated and happy that nestling in your cellar is a lifetime of Magdelaine.

Yeah. Agree with Mark. But I also suspect we are bidding each other up at auction.

1 Like

Jayson…I’m Robert Goulet on winebid…don’t touch my stuff!!! [berserker.gif] :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

not gonna bid against you on the '76.

Mark, no worries…I’ll just drink Robert’s😃 I think I’ve already had four or five bottles of it with him.