TNs: Santa Sofia 2008 Amarone Della Valpolicella

Berserkers,

It’s been ages since I’ve indulged in an Amarone, one of my favorite styles of wine. I’ve owed myself this indulgence for a while so here we go:

SANTA SOFIA 2008 AMARONE DELLA VALPOLICELLA

SUMMARY: A hugely ripe and flavorful red wine. Go big or go home.

Dark crimson purple in the glass. Nose is a bit corky, but underneath that is baked cherry pie and coffee. On the palate, it is the texture that immediately makes the first impression and it’s a good one. A smooth silky mouthfeel that just glides down the esophagus and makes the 15.5% ABV dangerously easy to drink. The tannins have all settled in and there’s no grit whatsoever. Almost glycerin-like in texture.

Rich flavors of baked cherries and cocoa. Just when it threatens to become chocolate covered cherries, a searing acidity kicks in mid-palate and remains all throughout the finish. The cocoa note also remains very prominent on the finish. I am having this with a homemade steak frites dinner and it’s a great match.

Highly recommended, especially for fans of big reds like California Cabernets and Italian Syrahs. Delicate Burgundy Pinot and Gamay lovers should stay far, far away. It would go extremely well with barbecue from your grill or smoker.
20210314_202822.jpg