Recent Cristals

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

Recent Cristals

#1 Post by alan weinberg »

I’ve bought and enjoyed Cristal but think they’ve hit a higher level past decade. Better viticulture and winemaking. 96 great. 08 stuns. I’ve read great info re 12. Tell me about 13 vs other vintages. What about the rosé.

Andrew K.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Re: Recent Cristals

#2 Post by Andrew K. »

Hard to find '08 right now at a decent price. Have been picking up some '12.
к𝓁ย𝐠

Michael S. Monie

#3 Post by Michael S. Monie »

Kevin Shin @ Winovisor has the 2008 for $240 and the 2012 for $200.
Hubris Gravitas

Of the myriad of involvements in living, there are two primary obligations: to know one's self and to be kind. And the more one engages in one, the more the other becomes apparent.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by alan weinberg »

but tell me about the wines. How is 13? Better than 12?

Michael S. Monie

#5 Post by Michael S. Monie »

alan weinberg wrote: March 29th, 2021, 7:04 pm but tell me about the wines. How is 13? Better than 12?
What makes you think that it is? Or, are you just putting a feeler out? Had my first bottle of the 2012 Saturday night with Crabmeat St. Francis and was mightily impressed. Much more approachable than the 2008 was at this stage.
Hubris Gravitas

Of the myriad of involvements in living, there are two primary obligations: to know one's self and to be kind. And the more one engages in one, the more the other becomes apparent.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by alan weinberg »

Michael S. Monie wrote: March 29th, 2021, 7:25 pm
alan weinberg wrote: March 29th, 2021, 7:04 pm but tell me about the wines. How is 13? Better than 12?
What makes you think that it is? Or, are you just putting a feeler out? Had my first bottle of the 2012 Saturday night with Crabmeat St. Francis and was mightily impressed. Much more approachable than the 2008 was at this stage.
I have no idea. Have 12 and am seeing 13 for sale, heard a rumor . . . wondering. Trying to get a thread going about Cristal. It’s getting better and better.

Jeremy Holmes
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Jeremy Holmes »

A recent '05 showed well. '02 from Magnum last year was simply brilliant. Have had '08 a couple of times. Ridiculously young with tremendous cut.
ITB

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by RyanC »

Don't sleep on the 09. I love the 08 like everyone else, but it's a long-termer. The 09 has been outright delicious every time I've had it. I bought 6 with a view to aging half of them, and I drank through them in about 6 months.
C@ughey

Michael S. Monie

#9 Post by Michael S. Monie »

Winesearcher shows 3 hits for the 2013, all on pre-arrival. Perhaps it has been released in Europe.
Hubris Gravitas

Christos M.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#10 Post by Christos M. »

I’ve been looking into Cristal more since my wife loves Roderer NV. Haven’t bit the bullet on buying some bottles but based on 08 DP, I might have to find some 08 Cristal. I will be on the lookout for our anniversary year when it comes out.
Wine is life. M0ut0usis

Michael S. Monie

Re: Recent Crista

#11 Post by Michael S. Monie »

Christos M. wrote: March 30th, 2021, 7:37 am I’ve been looking into Cristal more since my wife loves Roderer NV. Haven’t bit the bullet on buying some bottles but based on 08 DP, I might have to find some 08 Cristal. I will be on the lookout for our anniversary year when it comes out.
You might want to consider the Roederer vintage Blanc de Blanc as an intermediate step.
Hubris Gravitas

Jonathan Favre

#12 Post by Jonathan Favre »

I personally can't wait to someday try the '08 Cristal Rose - haven't bought any yet (not sure why) - have some '12 Rose already though..... A bottle of the '96 Cristal Rose last year was right up there in my top 5 or so champagne experiences.

Alex Valdes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#13 Post by Alex Valdes »

Jonathan Favre wrote: March 30th, 2021, 8:05 am I personally can't wait to someday try the '08 Cristal Rose - haven't bought any yet (not sure why) - have some '12 Rose already though..... A bottle of the '96 Cristal Rose last year was right up there in my top 5 or so champagne experiences.
Just recently picked up 04, 08 and 12 roses. Can’t wait to do a side by side.

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Keith A k e r s »

alan weinberg wrote: March 29th, 2021, 8:20 pm I have no idea. Have 12 and am seeing 13 for sale, heard a rumor . . . wondering. Trying to get a thread going about Cristal. It’s getting better and better.

as a vintage, the producers I met and talked to two years ago really liked what 12 brought slightly more than what 13 brought. I've liked the handful of 13s I've had, but have generally preferred the cleaner fruit and precision of 12 Cotes de Blancs and a lot of Montagne de Reims pinot-based wines. The flip side here is with the 13 Cristal, they have another year with releasing as a fully organically farmed wine, so it will likely be a real winner when you check in on it.

Hopefully a Brad Baker-signal will go out with this thread.

Jonathan Favre

#15 Post by Jonathan Favre »

Alex Valdes wrote: March 30th, 2021, 8:12 am
Jonathan Favre wrote: March 30th, 2021, 8:05 am I personally can't wait to someday try the '08 Cristal Rose - haven't bought any yet (not sure why) - have some '12 Rose already though..... A bottle of the '96 Cristal Rose last year was right up there in my top 5 or so champagne experiences.
This truly would be AWESOME champagne.gif!

Alex Valdes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#16 Post by Alex Valdes »

Jonathan Favre wrote: March 30th, 2021, 11:20 am
Alex Valdes wrote: March 30th, 2021, 8:12 am
This truly would be AWESOME champagne.gif!
Planning to do this summer - if people are in NYC could be a good offline

JLee

#17 Post by JLee »

'09 Cristal was as good of a new release champagnes as I've had, but it, and a number of other '09s, seem to have gone a little dumb the last few years.
J a m e s

JBrochu

#18 Post by JBrochu »

JLee wrote: March 30th, 2021, 11:39 am '09 Cristal was as good of a new release champagnes as I've had, but it, and a number of other '09s, seem to have gone a little dumb the last few years.
I have 5 mags of this and was thinking of popping one this summer for a special occasion. Do you think I should hold off and open something else instead?
J@hn

JLee

#19 Post by JLee »

JBrochu wrote: March 30th, 2021, 2:36 pm
JLee wrote: March 30th, 2021, 11:39 am '09 Cristal was as good of a new release champagnes as I've had, but it, and a number of other '09s, seem to have gone a little dumb the last few years.
I have 5 mags of this and was thinking of popping one this summer for a special occasion. Do you think I should hold off and open something else instead?
I haven't had it out of mag so I would just be speculating, but I don't see a reason not to open it. The last bottle I had was still a good wine, just not quite what it was when I first had it right at release.
J a m e s

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Warren Taranow »

John,
Unlike James, I've found the 2009's drinking remarkably well for young Cristal, although my last bottle was January, so they could have shut down since them. I've seen that happen with other champagnes. The 2008 DP's drank well for a while, then suddenly shut down from one month to the next.
I've finished a case of '09 Cristal in the last year, and all were extraordinary. It's been the most approachable of recent vintages. Blake Brown, Yao C and others have posted positive notes this year. I guess it depends on how much you have, what alternatives are in the cellar, and how special the occasion is. That said, they'll be much better in 5-10, likely longer for 1500's.
I'd suggest monitoring the "what champagne are you drinking" thread. If it's shut down, enough people drink and post that wine that you might find consensus (or as much consensus as is possible on WB which is likely not much)
Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Mich@el Ch@ng
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#21 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

I think 09 Cristal is drinking fantastically right now.

Mark Morrissette
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#22 Post by Mark Morrissette »

More WB-induced purchasing, thanks to this thread... (I blame you, Alan!)

Just ordered 3x 2012. Really looking forward to trying these in a few years.

Ken Kailin

#23 Post by Ken Kailin »

Mag of 2009 I opened two weeks ago was delicious, but with a bright firm tension that likely keeps it fresh for many more years. It started out lean and nervy and then really blossomed later in the evening. It had this wild citrus rind bitterness I really loved.

The 2012 is awesome as well for its richness vs 2009, but I do prefer the 2008 overall as best maybe ever. My 2013's have been paid/ordered and word from reputable retailer says it may beat out the 2012 when reviews come out, but I really don't know factually. I have only had the rose a couple of times and it is unbelievable, although can't recall the vintages off hand.

Patrick Stella

#24 Post by Patrick Stella »

Alan I agree with you they're really hit a stride the last 10 years. But don't sleep on the old ones either. 90 Rose a few days ago was absolutely stunning. The perfect combination of the darker, sweeter flavors of maturing champagne cut with stunning red fruit flavors. Like a vinous dark chocolate coated strawberry. It left me really dumbfounded. For blancs, the 89 has been my sleeper pick for a long time. Just glorious. And if you haven't tasted an 08 rose, it's worth opening one. Greatest young champagne I have ever tasted (I have not tasted 08 DP Rose or CdC Rose though).
ITB -- WineCredit LLC

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Brad Baker »

I have not yet had the 2013 Cristal in final release format so I cannot officially comment on it. What I can say based on what I have tasted is that it is well worth buying and continues the incredible run of amazing recent Cristal releases. In general, 2013 is a more classically built vintage that favors Chardonnay. It is not nearly as forward as 2012 or 2009 and doesn't have the intense, coiled potential of 2008. What it does have is very classical lines and should age well. There will be far worse things than comparing and contrasting 2008, 2009, 2012, and 2013 Cristal.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by alan weinberg »

Brad Baker wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 6:44 pm I have not yet had the 2013 Cristal in final release format so I cannot officially comment on it. What I can say based on what I have tasted is that it is well worth buying and continues the incredible run of amazing recent Cristal releases. In general, 2013 is a more classically built vintage that favors Chardonnay. It is not nearly as forward as 2012 or 2009 and doesn't have the intense, coiled potential of 2008. What it does have is very classical lines and should age well. There will be far worse things than comparing and contrasting 2008, 2009, 2012, and 2013 Cristal.
was hoping you’d opine though I’m sure it cost several of us some serious coin! Thanks.

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Warren Taranow »

2009 taught me not to curb my purchases of Cristal to wait for a "better" vintage.

CT - WST

crickey

#28 Post by crickey »

I finally saw a review of the 2013. William Kelley gave it a 96 (the rose version got a 99). He gave the 2012 a 97+ for comparison, so the 2013 sounds pretty close in quality.
Chri$ Ri¢k€y

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#29 Post by Blake Brown »

OPEN one. With 5 in the hole, you owe to yourself to see where it is now and then decide how and when to track it. I've had 3 in mag format plus 5 or 6 750s and all have been superlative AND I've not noticed that much difference between the two sizes which I expected there to be.

Sorry for the thread drift Alan. I want to know about the 13` too.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Blake Brown
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#30 Post by Blake Brown »

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: March 31st, 2021, 3:48 am I think 09 Cristal is drinking fantastically right now.
Totally agree
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Warren Taranow »

alan weinberg wrote: March 13th, 2021, 12:00 pm I’ve bought and enjoyed Cristal but think they’ve hit a higher level past decade. Better viticulture and winemaking. 96 great. 08 stuns. I’ve read great info re 12. Tell me about 13 vs other vintages. What about the rosé.
Alan,

Brad Baker opined that it's classically built and needs time, although his original note years ago suggested it should also drink well young. I think William Kelly wrote much the same on WA; better in 10+ years, but no harm in drinking now. That's how I'm approaching both the 2009 and 2013. I hope to save several for the long haul, but will open some while I wait on the '08s and '12s. I bought more '08 and '12 than '09 and '13, but I ended up back-filling the '09s as it was a much better vintage than I had initially thought.

Bottom line; decide which vintage you want, then disregard that decision and buy them all.

Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by alan weinberg »

Warren Taranow wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 4:57 pmBottom line; decide which vintage you want, then disregard that decision and buy them all.
Cheers,
Warren
sounds like commonly followed advice on this board!

Michael S. Monie

#33 Post by Michael S. Monie »

I had the 2008 yesterday. I was pleased to see that the overtly "lemony" stage had passed. While pleasant enough, it wasn't offering any real complexity. I trust that it's just in an awkward stage.
Hubris Gravitas

Return to “Wine Talk”