Shout out for Vincent Pinot Gris (noir)

This has been one of the more interesting wines I’ve purchased over the last few vintages. I stopped buying Cameron and have been putting that money toward Vincent. Cameron’s Ramato was pretty special but always bordered on a bit sweet for me. Vincent’s is dry and more floral with some chewy aspects. So good. Search it out.

Ron, not to derail this but I’m curious why you stopped buying Cameron? I’ve never had them but just purchased some to try will be checking out Vincent’s wines as well as they recently became available in the U.K.

Do you know the Maloof line up?

I’m a big fan of Vincent’s wines, but never tried the PG. Will try to remember to get some for the wife to try. [highfive.gif]

Perfect season for that wine - love it on sunny afternoons as the days start to warm up, right at cellar temp. Just had the 15 Pinot Blanc Tardive on Wednesday… always enjoyable as well. Eagerly awaiting my spring delivery!

Here are notes from the last two vintages:

• 2019 Vincent Pinot Gris Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, McMinnville (12/14/2020)
    Wonderful orange/red color of very aged Pinot Noir. Nose smells funky at first, then there is a red apple rush. Palate has beguiling sable tannin and apple, with a hint of red fruit. Excellent
  • 2018 Vincent Pinot Gris Rosé - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, McMinnville (11/15/2019)
    Pale red color. Smells earthy and funky in a very good way. The first sips I had belied the color and I got more pear/apple flavors. Very soon, while eating with a spicy vegan mapo tofu, the profile moved more red: Cherry, strawberry and a funky earthiness. there is a very mild, yet noticable, tannic backbone. The profile stayed red for me afterwards as well. It is distinctive if not a showcase wine. I just love low-alcohol reds like this.
    Some of my thoughts were what a great wine to pair with white or red wine dishes! Pasta, fish, meats, vegetarian and spicy dishes come to mind, so obviously quite useful. Very Good. (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Yes, it is interesting, and we were pleasantly surprised after taking a flyer on it first time.

Dry, with a nice cut to it in the finish. Very pleasant, and different in a good way. A bottle made it onto the table every couple of weeks. The attraction doesn’t fade with familiarity…

Along the same lines, we were initially taken with giornata’s Ramato, although we have bought way more of Vincent’s.

Big fan of this wine. (I am very fortunate to make wine at Vincent’s co-op style winery and get to see how this is made and taste the resulting wine. So interesting to see a new style of red wine from Pinot Gris— turns out there are plenty of phenolics there!)

I quit buying Cameron pinot noir because I own a fair amount and often find it too reductive, even with several years under its belt and a few hours of air.

No. Inform me!

Thanks for the post Ron! This red Pinot Gris has been an unexpected hit since my first vintage in 2017. I was inspired to make a full red wine expression of Gris, so three week fermentation on the skins just like I make Pinot Noir. The red fruits and the tannic structure are fantastic, showing its kinship to Pinot Noir but truly being its own, slight rustic thing in the best sense.

Definitely check out Maloof too. And Championship Bottle, Etheric, James Rahn, lots of people making skin contact Gris. Special shout to Fossil & Fawn who’ve been doing it locally longer than anyone I know.

2 Likes