Is there a particular cliche in wine that you've tired of?

I look through a lot of social media, web sites, video and ‘wine influencer’ pages and regularly come across recurring themes that after a while just tend to look stale or un-original. Are there any you’ve seen enough of, or conversely wish there was more of? Maybe this should have been a poll, but interested to hear what people like or not.

“Drink what you like”

“It’s only grape juice”

“I’m letting the wine express its terroir

Minimal intervention
Speaks of place

~CRUNCHY~

-Sabering champagne with unconventional items (forks, phones, random objects). Though all of that is excused if it shows someone blatantly failing and breaking the bottle.I do love some good schadenfreude.

-Pictures of just wine bottle without adding anything meaningful in content about the wine or the producer.

-Any picture with the Zalto Gravitas Omega glass or similar. I just get annoyed when I look at those glasses.

That’s a descriptor that works for me personally. I get it and use it myself.

3 Likes

I agree it can be useful, but find it’s often overused to describe essentially any young carbonic red. Maybe I’m just a grump.

1 Like

Any use of the word “unctuous” relating to a wine.

1 Like

Pairing all Champagne with strawberries.

1 Like

But some wines really DO exhibit these traits:

Having the quality or characteristics of oil or ointment; slippery.
affecting an oily charm, Having the qualities of fat, oily, creamy, greasy, oleaginous

Certain thick desert wines (Sauternes, for example) can have these.

1 Like

“Just drink beer/cocktails/tea” in every wine pairing thread

“Shhhhh”

2 Likes

One worded reviews or reviews that you can’t decipher if the wine was liked/disliked

1 Like

“Organic = no pesticides.”
“Natural/organic/BIO wines don’t use chemicals.”

1 Like

"Old wine turns to vinegar suitable only for salad dressing ".
Tom

1 Like

The leaning glass of Pisa!

The phrase “showing really well” annoys me.

1 Like

Smooth

Agreed - love using this descriptor with my Roussanne and Marsanne bottling, especially as I serve them at room temperature.

Cheers.

1 Like

Pretty much ALL of them but a few off the top of my head in thinking about how they make people not really into or are just learning about wine perceive it:

-Terroir is the most important thing. Or like Brian said “speaks of place”.

-The “bead” of Champagne. Or any focus at all on the bubbles.

-Endless descriptors passing for tasting notes. Tell people about how the wine smells and drinks and makes you think. Not about how many items you’ve memorized from a tasting chart.

1 Like

“If you like it, then it’s good wine.”