RIP Steven Spurrier

So sad, just saw Neal Martin post about this on Vinous. Besides organizing the “Judgement of Paris” tasting he did so much to propel wine education. Might have to watch Bottle Shock later.

Damn, when I first saw this, I thought it was the ‘ole ball coach for the Gators! That would hit closer to home, but sad loss for the wine world indeed. Bottle Shock is a fun movie.

1 Like

Rest in Petrus!

1 Like

His interview on Levi’s podcast is one of my very favorite. So sad.

1 Like

Very sad to read this. As for Bottle Shock, fun movie, helped Christopher Pine become a star, etc., but does not tell you much about Steven Spurrier, who was in his 30s at the time of the Judgment of Paris.

Terrible news. It’s a sad day. RIP.

FIFY!

Here’s a link to an interview with Steven Spurrier at IPNC a couple years ago. Interesting story of his life.

Robert

RIP

I think a, Montelena may be in order later

Sigh.

Given your affinity for German wine, I expected:

“Rest in Pies-porter”

[cheers.gif]

I got to know him from primeurs. I happened to be in the same group as him. Extremely generous, a great storyteller and a fabulous palate.

BTW he hated bottle shock. Can’t say I am surprised.

Very sad news.

RIP. A nice remembrance from Bart Broadbent on Facebook

Pour something nice in celebration of a life well-lived.

Rest in Peace.

Damn. This is a big bummer. Sad to see such an influential figure go. RIP

I will set aside an appropriate value priced, well aged Bordeaux to drink this weekend. An interesting life, well lived indeed. Hard to be too sad for him, I aspire to his lust for life and passion for not just grape juice, but the people in wine…

Sad to hear. I enjoyed sitting with him at a very memorable Lunch during the 2019 IPNC. Fascinating and charming man with a wealth of stories and a keen eye toward the future.

Very sad. I met him at the 40th anniversary dinner of the Judgement of Paris in Paris. He was a very charming man. And very approachable. Will need to open a Ridge this weekend in his honor.

Alan Rickman did a fabulous job of playing him…

The Judgement help put the California wine industry on the world map.

I was a youngster in the business then. I vividly remember the sputtering and outrage in the trade. And also the huge number of people who came into the store for the 1973 Chateau Montelena Chardonnay and 1973 Stags’ Leap Cabernet (neither of which we had, of course)

1 Like