TN: 2012 Chateau d’Armailhac, Pauillac

I have always had a soft spot for this rather unheralded classified growth. While it may not hit the higher highs of many classified growths in the Pauillac appellation, it could be the best QPR. Well, maybe along with Fonbadet.

I like the vintage styling on this wine, totally approachable and fleshy. Archetype Pauillac on the nose with lead pencil and cassis, maybe just a hint of saddle leather in this early showing. The palate weight is nice, medium-bodied, solid range of blue to dark fruits. Good acid profile. Finishes with modestly chewy but sweet tannins, and a little chalk. Not built for the long haul, but having paid $27.99 each for my six-pack, I’m all giddy on this one.

(91 pts.)

EB7FFBEB-6C5B-474D-8962-7A0A25DC104E.jpeg

1 Like

Sounds like a winner to me just by the palate. Then, good wine at a decent price. What’s not to like. Nice note and good rec. Unheralded vintages can be a gold mine.

1 Like

You might find they will keep a little longer than you’d expect, especially modern examples. (I agree the older ones didn’t last/develop well). 2000 continues to be very nice.

MarcF and I had a very solid 1999 about a month ago. I like that vintage of this wine.

I had a similar experience with this lovely wine a couple years back. At the time I picked it up for <$40. Prices for d’Armailhac in general seem to have gone up a fair bit…tariff-related?

GeneM snuck one of these 99’s up on us a summer or two ago. It feels like a lifetime since I’ve been able to break bread and drink wine with the local enthusiasts

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8582&p=74908

It’s great news that the tarriffs have the potential of being lifted.

1 Like

Have not had the 2012, but will agree anyway because this is and has been terrific qpr for a long time. An be surprisingly good. Hmmm, maybe not so surprisingly.

Feels like a throwback that you can buy a well known classified growth for $28 and that it would be drinking nicely at age ~8.

I will be opening the 1979 Mouton Baronne Phillipe next week, d’Armailhac before the name was changed.

Sounds great, Robert, thanks for the tip - I haven’t got any 2012 yet but I’ll look out for some - Armailhac has never disappointed me.

That was a fun night. Looking forward to seeing you and Bill again later this year.

D’armailhac is a stalwart of consistency.

Man that looks inky-licious! I think I’m going to hunt some of these younger vintages down! What is the trigger buy pricing now?

1 Like

Did you grab any 2014, it was like 30 bucks per bottle. What a crazy value.

No…I haven’t bought any since 2000! Where?

Both the 99 and the 00 are terrific. Thanks for the note

I may pop the '14 tonight… Take a little peek under the hood.

1 Like