TN: 2015 Guigal [Crozes Hermitage]

2015 Guigal [Crozes Hermitage] I was traveling and needed something ‘tough’ that could tolerate a little shaking and yet still be ok for opening at the end of a drive; I figured a robust young 2015 NoRho would handle those requirements. This chunky wine states 13% abv on the label, but feels bigger, chewier than that. On the nose I get red fruit, spice but none of the olive, white pepper, meaty notes one might expect from this AOC’s syrah. The tech sheets state this rouge is a 45k cs production multi village blend (35yr vines, 40hl yields) with 18 mo of oak elevage. For that volume, the wine is high quality, as good as I recall the 2003 and 2009 versions, with density and well behaved tannin. It keeps well over two days, and I’d expect it to last til 2030 with no issues, although its drinking fine now, so pull a cork if you have yet to try any, and have multiple bottles. The color remains a dark, youthful purple with no bricking so far, as seen below. It’s a good intro to both Guigal and the region, without going full on freakish severe AFWE. Still I’ve liked other lesser known 2015’s more. A- in my ledger. It really is amazing how much wine they can make, and still keep the quality control high.
PXL_20210306_034019758.jpg

1 Like