TN: 2018 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese feinherb Ur Alte Reben

Letting this wine open for 24 hours, and the bit of tightness, as well as a bit of a phenolic grip on the finish has passed. Now it’s open, crystal clear, lightly fruity, and finishing with bracing minerality. It’s not quite as deep as some prior editions (e.g. 2017 and the majestic 2012), but it certainly displays the nuance of fine Riesling, and merges the souls of grape and place. That’s really all there is to ask. Drink this one up while letting the 2017 rest.

Posted from CellarTracker

Finishing up the last glass tonight. If a perfect peach was barely sweet…

Selbach is just a great value. Sounds like another great offering. These go down way too easy. Not a bad strategy either with the 2017s.

Thanks for the notes. Maureen also recommended Selbach-Oster to me and I very much trust her opinion as well as yours. I definitely need to do a bit of research and pick up a few bottles from Selbach-Oster.

1 Like

I love this wine !

1 Like

just got an offer on the 19 of this…thanks David.

So you will drink the rest of your 18s soonish?

Maybe not all of them, but they will be ahead of the 2017s. I also have 2014s I want to drink up.

1 Like

You just inspired me to go grab a bunch of 2017s. Got those dialed up and incoming.

It’s a beast. My impression from almost two years ago is it needs serious time. Super intense and wiry. Should be fabulous.

1 Like

Thanks for all the vintage input.

Have some 2019s I haven’t tried yet. Debating whether to bury all of them or not.

I hope you open one, since I appreciate your perspective.

I got them in not too long ago. Let them acclimate (a bit), and couldn’t help popping one, spot on. These are solid and well done wines. Every box checked, balanced, and has a huge runway to evolve. Going to forget I even have these.