TN: 2014 Wendouree Malbec

Immediately expressive, with a nose of briary fruits and purple florals. It is dense and fleshy in the mouth, with a creamy feel and good underlying structure. It has plenty of chew to the back-end and is still very youthful and vibrant.

Did you decant? How Long? Thanks

Gave it a 3 hour decant.

1 Like

sounds f’ing delicious.

Thanks for the reminder!! Time to open one. I’m too old to drink daily drinkers!

I’ve been hoping to find one of these. Is there a specific importer for Wendouree in the US? Sounds pretty great!

It isn’t imported into the US and is, alas, almost impossible to find here. Occasional gray market bottles.

only once saw and bought Wendouree. Winex had a cache long ago.

Thanks, that’s what I was thinking but had to ask incase I just wasn’t see it!

When Covid’s over, fly down, grab a few mixed cases (ex auction for as little as $US50/bot) and head home and you might pay for your trip !!!

The few bottles that make it to gray market retail here are $200-400 each.

It really makes no sense. Why can’t a regular importer bring some over here to sell for $75 or $100 or something?

Unless there just isn’t any demand in the US. Maybe there isn’t?

Chris, Wendouree simply don’t have the wine to send to the States. They sell every bottle they make to direct private clients and there is a waiting list.

That makes sense. Thanks, Jeremy. Maybe I’ll stumble across a chance to try one at some point in my life.

It used to pop up on Winebid in the mid-2000s for pretty reasonable prices, but I haven’t seen any come up in quite some time.

I have been on Wendouree’s mailing list since the early 1990’s, and am on a number of wine forums here in Australia. There are new discussion threads around June/July every year about the list and anecdotal evidence is that you can phone to be on the mailing list and (fingers crossed) you may get a mixed half dozen. However I guess you would need an Australian friend to store the wine for you until arrangements could be made to get it to the USA.

If you are keen, their phone number is +618 8842 2896. Otherwise wine auctioneers here often have Wendouree wines and they could pack them for you. Try Langtons or MW Wines. But you would be paying at least double or triple that of mailing list pricing.

The auction circuit price for all bar the straight shiraz and cabernet sauvignon is not far off the mailing list price, maybe AUD 10-20 more. So all up around AUD 65-80. Which is chickenfeed compared to what Americans would pay for an equivalent cult winery from Napa.

yes, I got an occasional bottle there as well but not for a long time.

I guess Chris found some in the US because he just blinded my last night! Good stuff and when I saw the screw top I thought maybe it was Bonny Doon Le Cigare, I really like that guess until Chris shook his head.

• 2014 Wendouree Cabernet Malbec - Australia, South Australia, Mount Lofty Ranges, Clare Valley (9/22/2021)
    Blind: new world style Syrah from southern rhone

Wow, south Australia in the house, cool. I was really thinking I had this nailed with Syrah as it had the blackberry/dark fruit. Good stuff.

Posted from CellarTracker

found a couple recent release bottles recently and bought them. We will see . . . in a few years.

I am reliably informed that the 2014 Cab Malbec you tried has 20% Shiraz in it. The other components are 45% Cabernet and 35% Malbec. First time I have been aware of shiraz put in the Cab Malbec mix since I started buying in 1991. I tried some and it certainly tasted different to the other years with no shiraz.