For Berserker eyes first- new WineBid feature coming soon

Hi all! As you all are among our most active and loyal customers, as well as acting as our unofficial QA team, I wanted to give the Berserkers the very first notice of a feature we will be launching in the next few weeks- Overtime Bidding!

You asked for it, you got it. The opportunity to keep duking it out over hot lots in contention for up to 10 additional minutes. A sneak preview of the feature will be posted this Sunday after auction close, but we won’t be launching for a few more weeks. We’ll give you the heads up two weeks before actual go-live and will of course appreciate your feedback (and possibly your patience) as we try out this great new auction feature.

3 Likes

I posted in the other thread, but copy/pasting my thoughts here as well.

Damn Russ, I think you are doing in incredible job at Winebid and appreciate your engagement/interaction here…but as a buyer…I absolutley HATE this. I think Spectrum or Brentwood does something similar, and its just a brutally bad experience. As many of us have mentioned it is thread…its already enough of a pain in the ass to make sure we have our final bids in before 7pm on a Sunday…and now we have to worry about ‘duking it out’ for 10 additional minutes. Again, I am one of the biggest/most vocal supporters…but this sucks.

Now as a seller and for Winebid, this is great, as you will obviously make more money, so from a business decision perspective, I totally get it…but it still sucks :frowning:

3 Likes

Pretty much. It feels like punishing people who show up on time.

3 Likes

Good news, you can pay more for your wine!

8 Likes

Exaaaactly.

Seriously just a huge bummer :frowning:

2 Likes

As a bidding customer, why would i want this feature that sucks in every way?

unless i guess the customer is the seller… which if i was one, I would love/see all the value :smiley:

3 Likes

And exactly who are the people “you asked for it, you got it”?

He’s hearing it now. LOL

1 Like

So snipers have 10 extra minutes.
Got it.

1 Like

Set a reserve or not and make the auction 10 minutes long and be done with it.

1 Like

Like Rich Brown, I am a huge fan of your site, I love to buy stuff and I think you’re incredibly conscientious. That said, this is a terrible idea.
I am involved in several hobbies that have little in common except that when auction houses do this, it enrages people, including me, for all the reasons mentioned above.

6 Likes

Hi all, thanks for your kind comments. [snort.gif] Please reserve judgment until you see how it’s implemented. We’re really trying to improve the experience for everyone, and we’ve done a lot of analysis on this. We hear your initial reaction and will definitely take it into account, but there are some unique features that you’ll have to wait and see. But this is why I thought to give you all the very first heads up.

In the meantime, we sincerely hope everyone is enjoying winning, tasting and sharing great wines.

3 Likes

No reserving opinion, this is absolutely awful and my days at Winebid.com are likely done.

I can’t understand why bidding closures aren’t staggered like what K&L does. It works really well. Personnel-wise, I can’t imagine they have that much more staff than WineBid so handling that scenario shouldn’t be an issue.

I’ll reserve judgement, but on the surface this change just seems like a weird idea.

FYI, I’ve been in software quality for nearly 30 years, the last 15 in medical device. I can definitely tell you what works properly and what doesn’t. In your case, the patient won’t die if there’s a high severity bug that isn’t fixed!

1 Like

Because the K&L system sucks. I have no realistic ability to keep track of when everything I might be interested in is closing, so the end result is that I never know until I get the “sorry, you missed it” email. Whereas on winebid I can have a fun time logging in same time every week and spend 5 minutes figuring out if I want anything.

I do not like the idea of post-close bidding - it’s annoying - but I think it is a mistake to say things like “good for sellers, bad for buyers.” If a system is good for sellers, more people sell, increasing supply relative to demand, which is good for buyers. These things always even out.

3 Likes

I’ve only ever dealt (administratively) with overtime bidding in charity situations, but no matter how it’s done it sucks. No way to put lipstick on this pig.

2 Likes

Sucks for you, but not for me. That’s what phone reminders are for.

2 Likes

Yeah, not interested in doing that. So I don’t. I have enough nagging in my life I don’t need to introduce it into the pleasurable activity of buying wine.

Hmm, I’m surprised at the feedback here. Auctions are live things. Show up and get your goods. Don’t show and maybe get sniped. It’s happened plenty to me. Maybe you show up and still get sniped, but how many times have you gotten a bid in late and won and thought great, where someone else out there thought they got sniped. Are snipers just people who want it more than you and are willing to bid for it? The more I do this, the more it seems that way.

And honestly, I’d sell more at auction if the prices were better, but unless it’s culty stuff, you can get wines routinely for wholesale or even less, even with the commission. Better prices might bring more interesting lots. The point is - there are always less obvious outcomes from change. Embrace it more. Maybe it will suck but it doesn’t yet. I’m interested to see the feature.

4 Likes

Sorry, but I’m pretty sure nobody asked for this.

2 Likes

What about implementing the “going once…twice…” minute? If someone bids at 6:59.30…it triggers a going once…twice…minute to bid. Continues until no more bids after the extended minute(s).

I personally like it the way it is…I think snipping is FUN! [pillow-fight.gif]

3 Likes