2014 Piedmont suggestions

I find the 2014 Nebbiolo wines of Piedmont very underrated. So I have started backfilling.

Does anyone have some good suggestions for great 2014’s? Everything from basic wines to top stuff. I prefer more traditional wines.

A 2014 Cappellano was excellent this week.

I didn’t love the 2014 Brovia Unio.

Coincidentally, I was going to suggest the same thing! A recent 2014 Cappellano Barolo Piè Rupestris was delicious albeit still very much a youngster.

I grabbed Cogno Vigna Elena and Massolino Vigna Rionda for the cellar, got a great deal on them

2014 Cogno Pernice is very good and can be picked up cheaper than his 2016 Ravera.

specific, but also delicious now: la ca nova barbaresco montefico

I just bought some today! So glad to hear.

1 Like

The 2014 Rupestris is fine, but I wouldn’t go out looking for it unless the price is very good, personally. It’s not a wine that I think is going to get a lot better. Now his 2011 on the other hand, I’d back up the truck for.

Massolino Vigna Rionda
Vajra BdV

Produttori, La Ca Nova, Ca Del Baio, all had good years also Parusso 44th anniversary Barolo is underrated I think.

Neither did I. I did think the Baudana wines were very good for the vintage. Take that for what it’s worth; I’m not a fan of 2014 and bought almost none for myself, despite having tasted quite a few wines, especially from Barolo. I think the better wines will probably come around with age.

It’s not good

I would love to buy more 2011 rupestris. Unfortunately, I don’t think it will happen.

1 Like

I liked Trediberri’s Barolo in 2014, and think barbaresco in general did quite well.

Hardly a hot take at this point, but the 11 Rupestris is probably the wine of the vintage.

1 Like

I recently picked up a couple Produttori, opened one so far, and it was quite enjoyable.

Oddero Barolo. In 2014 they decided not to release most of their single vineyards and they used all that fruit (including Vigna Rionda) to make the “classic” Oddero Barolo.

1 Like

I haven’t had many but Massolino’s Vigna Rionda is excellent.

Thanks for all the suggestions. A lot of names i was already looking at.

Would love to buy some Cappellano! But thats not going to happen in my area. Almost impossible to get any bottles.

All the 2014s from Massolino are shockingly good. I visited in 2018 and was able to taste through all the 2014 with the exception of VR. IMO they are every bit as good, possibly even better than the 2013s, and that is not a knock against the 2013s. As has been mentioned above, 2014 is actually a very strong vintage in Barbaresco, nowhere near as challenging as the vintage was for Barolo.