Aubert vs Vice Versa Platt

My wife and I love Aubert Chardonnays. It’s basically the only Chardonnay we drink. We are mainly cab drinkers.

Tried Sam Kaplan’s Maxem, and although good, it wasn’t great.

I’ve seen CellarTracker reviews of Vice Versa’s Platt Chardonnay and it got 97-99pts. I was curious if anyone has had Platt Vineyard Chardonnay, specifically by Vice Versa and how it compares to Aubert’s Chardonnays.

Thanks!

Hi Fred,

I actually am the same way, I’m mainly a Cab, Super Tuscan, BDX drinker, but from time to time we drink Chard (Aubert, RM) and SB with my Fiancé. I tasted the Platt Chard a year ago from VV and it was so good, I had to get it. I actually opened one for my bday this past December, and it was glorious. Will definitely get better with time. I put my notes on CT around mid January. Below for your reference:

1/19/2021 - I LIKE THIS WINE: 97 Points
PnP - this wine was excellent as is. I can imagine it will only get better with more time in the bottle, but it was delicious and ready to enjoy already. Beautiful light gold wine, with citrus notes and some peach flavor, with a little white flowers, vanilla undertone, barely noticeable. On the palate, medium-to-full body, with exquisite acidity, very refreshing which will make this wine last for years, and more citrusy and peach flavors with a great lengthy finish. 97
IMG_4548.jpeg

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, based on the Aubert and Maxem comment, they are very different styles. Aubert is more lush and round (very Napa) vs Maxem which is more a Burg/Napa cross of that makes sense.

Perhaps focus on that rounder lusher style yet not buttery?

Rivers Marie might be another good option.

Love Maxem and VV but they might have a more mineral style than you are looking for.

Rodrigo - nice lineup!

Vv is the most expensive but it’s level of silky refinement is remarkable despite such a clean finish. Really nothing else is like it. This might be the most impressive domestic white I’ve had.

Aubert is more of a modern large scaled wine. 100% new but well integrated oak, higher alcohol, and a big long finish. I love it but it’s different then vv.

The rivers Marie’s have less oak, alcohol and power then the aubert and are more similar to the vv but not as refined. The platt is obviously the same vineyard but it’s more on the lean and mineral style from what I remember.

I buy all three of the above wines.

I had a Maxem last year. Liked it but not as much as the other 3 above.

1 Like

Ramey made a Platt. Much lower price point than Aubert. Great wine. Not sure if they still do

Failla makes a platt at a “reasonable” price and its excellent. As all of their wines are

i tend to buy some leaner chards and also aubert. i don’t really care for the middle ground. i love aubert and also leaner chards. apples and oranges.
i don’t really see a point in paying more than $75ish a btl for a lean chard. if i wanted that i’d buy burgundy.