TN: 2018 Amorotti Trebbiano D'Abruzzo

2018 Amorotti Trebbiano D’Abruzzo
Mild honey, gooseberry, grassy, mildly herbal with traces of peat and a hint of minerality. Lemon curds and honeydew melon on the palate. Nice acidity with middleweight somewhat rounded intensity. There’re surreptitious rubbing tannins with a moderately long finish. Overall, it’s a pleasing food friendly white showing restraint (12% abv) and no heat. Not sure it’s competitive at $35/bottle but well worth a flyer. I’d sworn off most Italian whites for the past 10+ years…so dipping a toe back in the water. It won’t be a regular buy, but I wouldn’t turn it down in the future.

RT

Richard- Nice to see a note on this. I recently took a flyer on a few 18s and 17s. Have never tried the wine.
I wish you were raving and ready for more, but it sounds good enough. I’ll take one for a spin soon. Thanks for the note!

The 2017 bottle that I had recently had a ton of funky reduction that completely blew off after a long decant to reveal a richly textured, lovely herbal Trebbiano. I think it will age nicely for some time and look forward to opening more bottles in the coming years.

I went into this a bit skeptical given the price point and limited history of this maker but came out pretty well sold on it.

1 Like

It’s a very respectable white that exceeded expectations (which were fairly low). I’d gladly enjoy a repeat encounter. That said, there are many dozens of whites (i.e.: Muscadet, Loire Chenin, OR Chardonnay, “clean” dry Rieslings, Vinho Verde, Albarinos, Savoie whites, etc.) that I tend to look to first at comparable prices (and less). The competition is stiff. With a smattering of newly purchased Italian white “experiments” downstairs, I hope they all show as well.

RT

1 Like

Yep to what Joe says. Opened a 2017 last night, showed just as he describes above. I really liked the wine, very herbal, waxy. A baby Valentini (good magic on that block of the 'hood) that seems to have some years ahead of it. Well worth the $35.

Thanks for starting the conversation here, Richard.
IMG-3056.jpg

I didn’t want to say it but that’s what I was thinking too.

1 Like