TN: 2015 Domaine de la Pépière Gorges

Iodine and light crushed rocks minerality greet you on opening. There’s an attractive, lightly lactic quality to the nose with almond skin and a lees-y brioche, maybe a bit of yellow to red apple for fruit (but this wine isn’t about fruit). The sparks really fly on the palate: I think this wine is the definition of “dry extract” - it just feels wonderfully constructed and chewy while still maintaining excellent freshness and acidity. Surprising zest and electricity for a 2015 white with a racy, near-chalky finish. Texture, texture, texture.

This has the structure to go for the long, long haul; 5-10 years easy. I’d love the chance to have it again then but I don’t regret opening it now one bit.

Nice.

I bought and had a couple of the 2014 Gorges and that, correct me if I’m wrong, was the first time the domaine processed grapes from Gorges. It didn’t impress me enough to follow up with more purchases, as the very good 2014 Briords slayed it head-to-head, perhaps unfairly. I look forward to drinking more of the Gorges, expecting that Domaine de las Pépière would get the hang of it.

I love the '14, the '15 is very good too.

Thanks for the note Sean.

This is my first encounter with this bottling - Briords is fantastic and definitely a little bit more fruit-forward but this still maintains that salty tangy signature. This feels a bit more “serious” and weighty/structured. I’d happily drink either, though if you put a gun to my head I’d take the Briords, too.

Would love to try this in a more “classic” vintage - might just be mouth-wateringly fresh.