Chilling wine and acidity

Opened one of my BD wines, a 2016 Veleta Viji and at cellar temp the acidity was non-existent. It distracted from the flavors and everything just seemed flat.

Fridge chill for a few hours and everything opened up perfectly. Acidity came back (?) and the oak, fruit, and florals all came out.

I get there’s a temperature sweet spot for muting off flavors and enhancing others. But acidity? I don’t think the pH changed from temperature so I’m wondering what’s going on here.

It also confirmed my commitment to giving wines a second chance, if something seems off (warm, chill it. cold, let it warm up. tight and tannic, give it a few hours. heck I’ll even move from large glasses to smaller glasses or vice versa if I think that will help). Paid off here and the Viji was a really nice white wine. Glad I gave it some patience.

I think you perhaps had a few things going on. Temperature reduction and simply the wine having been open a while.

Also while I don’t think temperature affects pH per se it definitely affects the perception of acidity.

Def agree that one should be alert to modifying the serving of wine if it isnt singing.

Wines taste more acidic when they’re cold. Sometimes a wine that seems thin and tart straight out of the fridge will flesh out as it warms up.

I’m sure the pH doesn’t change. But the warmer the wine, the more aroma compounds evaporate, so I suspect the difference in perception has something to do with other smells and tastes coming out. I wouldn’t be surprised if the tongue experiences acid differently at refrigerator temps, too.

Something similar happens with fruit. An orange at room temperature will taste sweeter than one out of the fridge.

Good Chardonnay should be served almost at room Temperature. I never follow the recommended serving temps for whites especially.