Trying new things. Looking for recommendations

Hi. I mostly purchase California wines since this is where I live and this is what I know and comfortable with. I am looking to expand my palate and try new things from other countries. I like all sorts of wine, from fruit bombs to delicate, depending on the mood. I drink white and reds. Preferably something that is not too difficult to obtain and under $100 ( Can’t afford that kind of burgundy or Bordeaux:) ). I always see lists of “ top list member wineries”, but they always tend to concentrate on American ( and mostly Cali wines ).

Thank you

Based on WS results, these are Portuguese wines from different regions and styles which you can find in CA stores well within your budget (under $25):

Herdade do Esporão Reserva
FitaPreta Tinto
Herdade do Rocim Mariana Tinto
Niepoort Redoma (both colors - Tinto [red] and Branco [white])
Quinta do Vale Meão ‘Meandro’
Quinta do Vallado Douro Tinto
Anselmo Mendes Contacto
Soalheiro Alvarinho
Quinta de Azevedo Vinho Verde
Aphros Loureiro
Luís Pato Vinhas Velhas (red and white)
Filipa Pato Dinâmico

Let me know if you need any more specific info!

1 Like

2016 Chianti Riservas are good to try before everyone finishes rotating to the 2017s - You can’t go wrong with any of these from the Selvapiana on down -

https://www.klwines.com/Products?&filters=&limit=50&offset=0&orderBy=60%20asc,10%20asc&searchText=2016%20chianti

2019 Kabinett - any of these, for example -

https://www.klwines.com/Products?&filters=&limit=50&offset=0&orderBy=60%20asc,10%20asc&searchText=2019%20kabinett

(No affiliation, but since you said you’re in CA, I looked at K&L. Obviously, these should be available at many other CA shops as well)

1 Like

Hey David! Native Californian here too. You might consider some Sampler Packs and/or Wine Club at Kermit Lynch to begin your wine education (https://shop.kermitlynch.com/). The discounts on sampler packs often brings it down to retail cost (or lower) and shipping is free above $120 and extremely prompt in-state (next day for me). I think early on, broad exposure to a variety of wines at lower price points will take you quite far (relative to $100 at least!). Plus, by our nature of collecting here, we tend to focus on extremely high quality, ageable, collectible wines and sometimes forget the simple pleasure and variety that more humble wines can offer. And early on I think there’s more wisdom in drinking six honest, affordable wines than one trophy wine.

The suggestions here will definitely be extremely helpful, but likely overwhelming - although you should mix in some wines at higher price points to give you a sense of what other regions can really offer. Like others we’ve opened quite a few collectable bottles over the tough times of the last year - but some of my favorite bottles were uncomplicated, affordable wines like a Faury Collines Rhodaniennes Syrah and Vin de France Rose from Les Pallières. (both purchased at Kermit Lynch).

All the best in your wine journey!

1 Like

You could try some New York State wines, as you live in America and they are American wines. Not sure what selection you have where you live, but they are relatively inexpensive for what they offer and will give you a different take on riesling than you are used to, and sometimes offer unusual varieties like saperavi (red grape from Georgia, the country).

1 Like

Hi David - Welcome to the board. It may be that you are getting so few responses to this thread because the question is so very open ended. You’ve basically asked people to recommend some wines not from California! :slight_smile: I think you might find it very useful to start by perusing the several active QPR threads and see which non-CA wines are getting a lot of praise and play. Since they are already divided out neatly by region and/or country, it should be easy to find some very helpful suggestions that fall within your parameters. By starting with good QPR, you can explore and discover what you like without spending too much money, then step up the price point when you have an idea which regions you’d like to explore more.

1 Like

Hi David, I’m pretty similar in drinking what I know from Washington State, where I live. My first comment is there is nothing at all wrong with enjoying what you like and know. California is huge and can offer almost every variety in many styles.

The other suggestion, similar to others, is find a wine shop with a selection of Italian, Spanish, German, French, Aussie, South American, South African wines, as well as some other US regions and a steward/owner who knows the wines on their shelf and can guide you to what to try in price range you are comfortable with.

I know I like Chianti/Brunello from Italy, Rhônes from France, Albariño from Spain. But you really would need to sample to find any preferences/favorites.

Good luck but nothing at all wrong with sticking w California wine. Cheers!

1 Like

Just had a Hermann Wiemer saperavi a few weeks ago. Surprisingly good, and different.

I think David (OP) is in California, where you seldom see NY wines, so they’re probably not a real option.

Hi guys. I read all of your responses and thank you for your recommendations and advice. Now at least I have a starting point. This is a great forum. [cheers.gif]

Try Washington State wines especially their Syrah’s.

1 Like

I would delve into Cru Beaujolais … not too expensive … wines are generally ready whenever you open them … unfussy and ebullient … excellent with simple food … has a touch of wildness … feels “French” for someone exploring new regions … can age if you want …

1 Like

Yes! You can get wines from top producers like Foillard, Lapierre or Coudert for less than $50.
Another region that has an excellent QPR is Rioja. I would start with Lopez de Heredia “Viña Bosconia” and any of their whites (the entry level is “Gravonia” and their signature label is “Tondonia”). I love the reds but their whites are simply out of this world. The reds from Lopez de Heredia are on made on the lighter/delicate style, if you’d like to try something bolder I would go with La Rioja Alta 904, I think that you can still get the 2005 vintage online for less than $100.

1 Like

Wines of Mencia, e.g. Palacios Petalos.

Fairly widely available and should be able to be had for under $30.

1 Like

Some of the best values in North America. I agree!

1 Like

Consider Metrick, Dusty Nabor, Story of Soil from Central Coast of California. Leah Jorgensen, Ratio and Arlyn from Oregon.

1 Like

I use the remainder of my Chateauneuf du Pape bottles just for this purpose (introducing French wines to California wine lovers).

1 Like

Lots of good mentions already.

I would like to add Langhe and entry level Barolo/Barbaresco (Nebbiolo based) wines.

There is also a lot of good Syrah under 100 in the Northern Rhone that i personally love.

1 Like

There should be a list (or an easy point to it) of available and affordable entry level wines from each area that consistently produce good wines representative of their region. This way you can try a good example of each reason and get some feel for what to expect

i.e.

Barbaresco
Produttori del barbaresco

Rioja
Lopez de Heredia vina cubilla (for traditional)
Muga Reserva (for more modern)

Cotes du Rhone
Coudoulet de Beaucastel
Charvin
St Cosme

1 Like

Thank you again for all the replies. Cheers!

A terrific list of great wines. Definitely worth checking out if not familiar with these.

1 Like