Los Angeles River Wine Co

Anyone tried these? The Lone Wolf vineyard sounds fascinating. Honestly I would love MTP to get some of this fruit and see what he would do with southern CA old vine vineyards. Abe’s stuff with Scholium was kinda all over the place for me 10-15 years ago, but he’s working with a very different type of fruit source now.

Abe’s done a great job resurrecting these old Mission vines. Isn’t Raj Parr partner in the winery? They’re right here in Chinatown on Naud St. And if anyone’s interested in the largely forgotten Los Angeles wine history, that’s almost ground zero for many of the wineries that used to litter this city. Alameda St was wall-to-wall wineries back in those days. I named my Angelica “El Aliso” after Jean-Louis Vignes famous winery that used to be there. And if anyone can believe it, he used to produce 150000 bottles per year! He was probably the biggest wine producer in the state at the time.

Speaking of MTP, I actually heard he’s planting some Mission at Bedrock to replace some fo the old ones. That must be a first in California in about 50 years.

FWIW, I think Abe “tightened up” his work at Scholium as time went on. Began to make more wines that not only were interesting but very fun to drink.

I’ve been following some of the goings on on social media - looks really interesting. I guess the ‘proof will be in the pudding’ in terms of how the wines are, but the stories are pretty awesome.

Cheers

How do they plant vines through all that CONCRETE?

Sounds like they are close to sold out … I loved his Gardens of Babylon and hope to try some of the new ones when my budget is happier.

That’s good to hear. I was a Scholium member of “the 56” or whatever the number was, but I found his wines to be so wildly variable, -one would be fantastic and the next a disaster- it just wasn’t worth it. Time to try a couple again.

I’ve been meaning to get down there to visit Abe. I haven’t seen him in a long time.