TN: 2018 Thibaud Boudignon Anjou (France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Anjou)

A great find in the world of Chenin Blanc. Popped’n’poured, this one delivered right from the get-go. Somewhat substantial with plenty of upside, yet super drinkable and tasty.

• 2018 Thibaud Boudignon Anjou - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Anjou (26.2.2021)
    The nose swarms from the glass and fills up the nostrils. Super chalky with awesome ripe fruit (lemon, tangerine, white peach), beeswax and white pepper. Massively expressive, crystalline HD stuff. Packs quite a volume despite moderate 13% ABV, this has a ton of texture. Lemon-driven but more saline than anything, iodine for days. A fantastic tangy, savory style, despite the concentration it is not heavy at all due to very good acidity. Great length and intensity too, this one does not disappear quickly from the palate. A splendid wine and solid value.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I was wondering if the 2018 would have good acidity.

My only taste of this producer was the 2015 vintage in 2020 and thought the acidity was pretty intense, chalky. How many years after harvest do you think this would show its best?

I too have been worried due to the early reports, although not from Loire particularly. However as I keep hearing good things from all over I am more and more willing to explore and have been buying singles from many regions already: Burgundy, Champagne, Northern Rhône, Corse, Savoie, Provence etc etc. Can’t wait to learn more about how this vintage turned out. This wine certainly did not show any obvious signs of a hot vintage.

Well barring premox Loire Chenin tends to age at a glacial pace so I would not expect any major development soon. 15-20 years from the harvest perhaps?

1 Like

Thanks Ilkka - I was toying with the idea of getting some of these so you have convinced me to do so. Have you ever tried his Savennières?

As far as I have been told, then you never have to worry about the acidity being too low in Boudignon’s wines. :grinning:

1 Like

Nope, this was my first Boudignon. That said I did have a look at the other bottlings and am intrigued. Prices seem to rise fast but based on this bottle this seems like a serious address. I guess I could try La Vigne Cendrée just for the old school label [snort.gif]

These wines always pack so much nerve and energy! I’ve found them more approachable in riper vintages, thanks for the note on the 18.

It’s a notch down across the board from the 2017s but the wines are still lovely, and have plenty of acidity.

1 Like

La Vigne Cendree is the only one of the 2018s that I have wished had a bit more nerve.

1 Like

Well thank goodness for WB! Any particular favorite then? À Francoise was already rec’d by the forum’s own Melvin Yeo on IG.

9BA61FBE-6DA8-4F6E-90B5-F0D2574E2A91.jpeg
Opened these two tonight to see:

Both are excellent but the Clos de la Hutte is why I buy his wines. It’s the most expensive, but it’s just phenomenal. Great precision and nuance. I should write a better tasting note, but I wouldn’t do it justice.

2018 is less steely than the 2017s but both wines hold balance very well and are clearly modest abv. Both were very enjoyable tonight and do not seem to demand cellaring, but I feel sure that 3-5 years will be rewarded. Perhaps more.

1 Like

I have a couple bottles of 2017 rosé from this producer. Haven’t opened one yet. Anyone have knowledge of the rosé?

Awesome, thanks a lot. Clos de la Hutte gets indeed a bit high in price but on the other hand it’s still cheaper than many village Burgundy… pileon