Occhipinti...talk to me!

Looking at trying my first Occhipinti wine tonight…2017 Il Frappato. Never had any of her wines…thinking this is going to be bright and floral red berry fruited with lovely crunchy minerality and spice…maybe some clean funk as well? A prettier Cornelissen?

Thoughts on the wines of Occhipinti? Oh yeah…and correct pronunciation please. flirtysmile

1 Like

Never had an Occhipinti that was “funky.”

If by “funky” you mean a little bit “natural,” then yes - I agree. But only a little. I dislike natural wine in general, but usually quite like her reds. They can be a good option on otherwise difficult to navigate wine lists. I find they benefit from some time in the decanter, and are quite food friendly. I like her SP68 quite a bit.

As for pronunciation, the the cch is hard, like “ock” and the rest is as you’d expect - the “i” is double ee, especially clear the first time it comes up. The second gets a little more slurred over. At least that’s how she has said it on the videos I’ve seen.

Ok-ee-peen-tee. That’s how she pronounces it. I think it’s fine to say Ok-ih-pin-tee. Clean and enjoyable funky…isn’t too far off (mineral and spice). I’ve never had a bretty one. The 2017 is pretty and bright.

RT

1 Like

I really like the Frapetto, SP68 too but a bit less.

The SP68 bianco depends more on the vintage than does the red. Some years it’s been very good. The il Frappato is the one most often raved about. Her uncle is the O in the COS winery.

Her top bottling, Grotte Alte (Cerasualo di Vittoria DOCG), is one of my all time favorite wines. It’s spendy at around $80/btl retail, but it sings. I find her other offerings to be less interesting, but still delicious.

The wines are just straight up bright, fresh, delicious

Other than the funk part (the wines I’ve had of theirs are very clean), your description sounds about right. Their Frappato is a great wine. So fresh and energetic.

Yes! [wow.gif] some of her earlier wines had some funk I think she didn’t use any sulfur then.

What variety or blend is that wine?

Nero d’Avola and Frappato Cerasuolo di Vittoria - Wikipedia h 50/50
Same as SP68 rosso but 70/30 F/NdA

http://www.agricolaocchipinti.it/it/

I didn’t know of this connection, but I love the COS wines, and their bianco (“Pithos”) is terrific, as is their Frappato.

I’ve liked the Frappato the best, also, although the SP68 rouge can be pretty tasty. The whites I’ve tried have been a bit too fat and soft for my taste.

BTW, there is another Occhipinti, Andrea, making really fun, interesting wines in Lazio. The Aleatico white, rose and red are all worth trying.

And for the record, they are not related. I think Andrea benefits from sharing the same last name, though I like his wines too.

I actually feel the opposite. Like the Frapatto, but love the SP68. I’m a big fan of the NdA / Frapatto blend when producers get it right. This pedestrian preference works out in my favor since it’s the less expensive wine (though both are good values).

Yes, her Il Frappato bottling is superior. Over the past couple of years I’ve fallen pretty hard for her Siccagno Nero D’Avola.

RT

Might you not bother to post a positive note?

I might, assuming you meant me and the Siccagno.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3044758#p3044758

RT

I was hoping that Buzz might not bring more attention to Ms. Occhipinti’s wines.

1 Like