Wines To Avoid: 2021 Edition

Recently tasted a 2018 Outpost Grenache from Howell Mountain that was totally smoke tainted.
Definitely falls under the category of AVOID.

Sent them an email but have not received a reply as to whether this was a known problem.

Don’t remember any fires in Napa in 2018 that would cause this.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with Outpost?

Smoke taint affected portions of Howell Mountain in 2018. Black Sears dumped their 2018 cab because of it. Not sure about other producers, but Galloni noted smoke taint in at least one of the Outpost wines.

I’m kind of surprised TRB would release a tainted wine…unless it wasn’t his call to make?

The Mendocino Complex Fires burned in 2018. Darn smoke wouldn’t stay in its county right at verasion!!!

I’m not sure if I’m finding smoke taint where there is none, but I bought a “mystery wine” from Garagiste that turned out to be 2017 Martin Ray Synthesis Napa Valley Cab Sauv. I’ll add it to the 2021 Wines to Avoid list- just has that ashy finish.

Dana Estates Hershey Vineyard (high up on Howell Mountain) scrapped the entire vintage.

Jeb Dunnuck warned in his 2018 napa review to be “cautious” of the entire Howell Mountain AVA due to potential smoke taint.

The Dotzlers sold Outpost (at least partially) to AXA Millesimes in 2018, I’m not sure how much they’re still involved or who would have the final say on a suspect wine.
I’ll add that I’ve tasted some wines with a Smokey scent that I didn’t feel made the wine flawed, but rather gave it a quite interesting signature. I’ve no experience with aging something like that, however.

Outpost’s Immigrant bottling is one of my favorite blends in all of Napa, so I bought plenty of Outpost’s 2018’s. Now I’m nervous.

Avoid wine auction sites.