Sad news from Drinkward Peschon

Just got the spring release email for what I think is one of the best values in Napa.
No 2019 or 2020. But thankfully they will be producing a 2021. [cheers.gif]

Keep in mind when ordering our 2018 that we will not be able to offer you 2019 or 2020. We make our wine at Behrens Family Winery on Spring Mountain, and as you may have heard, several of the winery’s buildings were lost in the Glass Fire on September 28th, 2020. All of our barrels from the 2019 & 2020 vintages were in those buildings. Fortunately, we bottled our 2018 in August and moved most of our wine down to Napa for storage. Unfortunately, we had not yet moved our 2018 magnums to the warehouse and those were also consumed, so we only have the 750s to offer.

Terrible news for them.

1 Like

One of our favorite producers and 2 of the nicest folks we’ve met in Napa. Easy purchase as we and our friends love the wines.

Still working on the 2010 and 12’s. Glad to see they decided to continue and will produce a 2021.

This is a heartbreak. Beautiful wine from two women I deeply admire. The damage from these fires is still so staggering.

2 Likes

All in, as always.
Great wines and great people

I was up visiting Lisa and Francoise at Behrens just 48 hours before the fire on Spring Mtn began, chatting with them as they sorted one of their last picks of the vintage. I snapped this little video at the time not knowing what was about to happen. Great people all the way around up there who everyone is rooting for to bounce back.

Very sad news. Glad that their family is safe and that there will be a 2021!

Yes, I didn’t realize they lost their entire ‘19 & ‘20 vintage until I read the release note this morning.
I also ordered as much as I could.

Love their wine.

The 2018’s are still on the website for those who may want to order some more or who missed out. We had the 2014 last night. Open and expressive from Pnp and another great DP. We don’t drink nearly as much Napa cab anymore but still one of our favorites.

2 Likes

Very sad news, long been a fan, but years since I’ve purchased. Just changed that and ordered six.

1 Like

Just placed an order for 3 to give it a try. Visited Spring Mountain years ago and tasted at Pride, Keenan, and Schweiger, so looking forward to the Drinkward Peschon.

1 Like

I think you’ll enjoy them Phil. This one will need a few years to unwind a bit.

Even more sad news… they are winding down :frowning:

Dear Simon,

As we write this letter, we are filled with gratitude, nostalgia, and a touch of bittersweet sentiment. It has been a few years since we’ve been able to share Drinkward Peschon and we have missed the opportunity to connect with you.

During our 20-year winemaking journey, we’ve experienced a roller coaster of events – from the devastating fires that claimed two of our vintages to the personal ebbs and flows of family life. We have bid farewell to some dear ones, even as we’ve joyously watched our families grow. Such is the cycle of life; through it all, your support has been a source of strength and inspiration.

After much contemplation and heartfelt consideration, we have arrived at a significant decision; the 2021 vintage of Drinkward Peschon will be our farewell release.

Like our friendship, our small wine brand has flourished and blossomed since we started it in 2000. We know that change is a constant in life and we do our best to go with the flow. Losing the 2019 and 2020 vintages in the Glass Fire was undoubtably a big setback, and our beloved Criscione vineyard was recently sold, rendering those grapes unavailable to us – a signal that it is time for a new chapter.

The 2021 vintage, a nearly perfect growing season, is a culmination of our dedication and passion. With a small crop yielding intense flavors, this wine is a testament to the love and care we have poured into every bottle. It is a vintage that deserves to be savored, and we are proud to present it as our 20th and final offering.

~ Click here for tasting notes and to access your allocation ~

Please note, a new password is required to access your account. That is easily accomplished via the Forgot Password process.

We want to express our deepest gratitude for your support over the years. You’ve been with us through thick and thin, and your enthusiasm for our wines has given us great joy. The memories we’ve shared, the notes and messages of encouragement are etched in our hearts.

Although this is our last official release, please know that we aren’t disappearing. As long as we are on the right side of the dirt, we will be very much a part of the world of wine, and while we will be spending more precious time with our families and loved ones, our passion for winemaking will continue to burn brightly.

With heartfelt gratitude,

Francoise Peschon and Lisa Drinkward
Drinkward Peschon Winery

“To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven. A time to be born, a time to die. A time to plant, a time to reap… A time to weep, a time to laugh… A time to love… and a time of peace.”

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 ~Pete Seeger & The Byrds

1 Like

Does anyone happen to know ABV for this wine?

I wrote to Lisa and Francoise to let them know that, as sad as this news is, they have brought me so much joy and pleasure over the years; not just from their great wines, but because of how authentic and kind they are. As someone said up-thread, two of the nicest people in the business.

4 Likes

I just created an account and ordered a few bottles. Excited to try the 2021 and sad that this will be their last vintage.

1 Like

Francoise is so much fun to be around and a genuine, hands-on winemaker. Make sure and get some of these wines!

I did the same.
Took my case, and told them I would take more if they don’t sell out.

1 Like

Sold out?

One of the greats, for sure! Always an easy purchase, and especially this year.