Suggest some French reds based on my Cali tastes

I’ve been slowly upping my California cab game over the last few years but I have no idea where to start with French wines. I was thinking that if I posted some of my favorite California wines then someone might suggest a few French ones to get me started. So in order of cost, here are some of the wines I like.
Daou, Austin Hope, Blueprint, Cade Howell Mountain, Cade Reserve HM, Bountyhunter Frontier Justice Dr. Crane. I think I probably have an immature, fruit-bomb palate but what are you going to do.
So what should I be trying?
Thanks.

Hmm, are you hoping to expand your palate, to reinforce your current tastes, or just to agitate some of the wine snobs who congregate here? In any case, welcome to this community from one who only joined recently.

The simplest answer to your question is that, if you are looking beyond California for more bold, oaky fruit bombs, then France might be the wrong place to look. Look, instead, to South America (e.g., Lapostolle Clos Apalta from Chile), or Australia (Two Hands and many others) or perhaps Spain (Pingus or Aalto). If you are insistent on finding French fruit bombs, then a good place to start would be with the fancier cuvees of Chateauneuf-du-Pape that are recommended by Robert Parker.

The path forward is a little more complicated if you are looking to challenge your palate and expand your tastes. Really you might start with some California cabernets that age away from the ripe end of the spectrum, that are a little less oaky and fruity and bold, that aim for balance (of fruit and acidity, for instance). Try a Frog’s Leap Rutherford Cabernet; it might taste a little green and acidic to you at first, but focus on the structure and aromatics, and see if you can appreciate what it is aiming for. If you don’t, then stick to what you like for now. If you do like it, then there is a whole world of French wine waiting for you.

I’d think that you might have some fun exploring right bank Bordeaux, as well as some of the better wines from Cahors (Malbec) and Madiran (Tannat). I’d second the suggestion for nice CDP wines, but bigger Northern Rhone Syrahs could be good too!

Beyond that, there’s a lot of great value to be had in the Roussillon and Cotes Catalanes - lots of flavor and body and good pricing.

These are all suggestions to help you find French wines that are not too far different from what you like already - a way to get a toehold in the world of French wine! After that, it can be immeasurably fun to explore the regional styles, particularly with recipes from those places, so you can really see what makes French wine special.

I hope you find lots of wines you enjoy as you begin your French wine odyssey. Be sure to share your discoveries with us! [cheers.gif]

Guigal, Jaboulet, Chapoutier, Clos St Jean, Bousquet des Papes, Valandraud, anything else made by Michel Rolland or Philip Cambie

If specifically focused on Bordeaux, I would suggest trying a few and then reporting back. Many of the initial wines you called out are more of the fruitier profiles but here are the quick suggestions

-Troplong Mondott 2015 $125
-Beau Sejout Becot 2015 $80
-Smith Haut Lafitte 2015 or 2016 $125

See what you think both with a proper decant. I would also suggest earlier vintages but they may not be readily available.

Every month, buy 6-12 bottles from a single region. Change regions monthly. At the end of a year, you will have a sense of how you might prioritizing deeper explorations.

My wife and I drank 125 different wines in my first year of this crazy game.

Next, find and join a local tasting group so you can learn about older wines.

Good luck :sunglasses:

Chateau Lascombes. The 2005, if you can find it, is a perfect gateway bottle, imo.

1 Like

try the 2016 marquis d’alesme

Chateau La Vieille Cure might be a good option especially from a ripe vintage (e.g. 2015) and should be available for 25-35.

Look to the south Rhone. Not Cabs, but more like Daou than a lot of Bordeaux.

Although there’s a lot of Bordeaux these days that would remind one of ripe CA Cabs. It’s been a while since I tasted these, but from some random notes, these would probably work.

• Château Valandraud would be a start.
  • Pavie, or for a bit less, Aromes de Pavie
  • Gracia
  • Canon
  • Péby-Faugères

In blind tasting I’ve guessed some of them to be CA.

For a lot less, try Maison Bertrand Ravache ‘Leo by Leo’. It’s not over ripe and it would not be out of place with some CA wines.

Cheers.

Posted twice.

I know you asked for reds, but any interest in white wines as well, or are you among the chromaticly challenged?

Definitely modern style CdP. Usseglio (both Pierre and Raymond), Chateau de Papes. Usseglio Mon Aieul is sure to please.

I wouldn’t limit yourself to a particular wine or region. When I hear that folks have a California palate, I think they like wines made from very ripe grapes. All the suggestions above match that description. If you have a good merchant that you like, they should be able to find more wines that fit the bill, at any budget.

Have fun!

No question that Chateauneuf du Pape in any style (modern or trad) will be a good place to explore for you. You will find plenty of interesting wines in a different style from CA cab, but also with familiar ripeness.

1 Like

I’m willing to expand my palate but I guess I’m looking to do gradually without spending too much money on wine that isn’t to my current taste.

I like white wines when it’s hot out or when it fits the food I’m eating. I like black coffee, blue cheese and other bitter foods so I tend to gravitate to reds. I have an even more novice palate for whites and usually just grab a Sonoma-Cutrer Chardonnet. I taste the complexity or difference more easily with reds.

Scott,

I just noticed you joined the forum today; welcome! Cool to see you jump right in right away. Hope you find it fun and interesting to hang out and participate here. Cheers! [cheers.gif]

Maybe before even venturing into French wines, try some of the more restrained CA versions? Based on the list of wines enjoyed it seems like a lot of Old World wines are going to underwhelm.

(I do concur on trying some Cambie tete du cuvee Rhones though)

Looking at the Total Wine website (not knowing where you live or what access you have to “fahn wahn”) check out any Vieux Telegraphe, Beaucastel or Pegau. Faves here. Otherwise, look at the 2015 and 2016 vintages and see if there is a price that looks good to you.