TN 2004 Kanonkop Paul Sauer

You don’t hear much noise about South African wines on WB, so here is an attempt to flag one.

Kanonkop Paul Sauer, 2004, a bordeaux blend from Stellenbosch with CS 70% CF 15% M 15%, purchased in 2010 for less than £20.

Double decanted 90 minutes before tasting. Still a deep colour with a brick red rim. A nose of warm cedar, plum, black currant and something dark and tarry. Quite a full body, sweet fruit, tannins well integrated, slightly prominent acidity making it refreshing, tastes of herbs and that tar note again, with a long aftertaste which seems cool so possibly menthol in there. A really good wine that could have been kept much longer. 4*.

1 Like

Thanks for posting your note. I wish we could get more aged Paul Sauer as well as magnums in the States.

I was fortunate to visit Cape Town ~18 months ago and solicited the board prior to my trip for suggested wineries to visit. Per usual, the board came back with a wealth of information that greatly enhanced my experience. Kanonkop was the first stop on my visit and it lived up to its reputation. At the time they were selling a library release for the 2009 Pinotage that I grabbed one to bring back to the States. It was delicious.

Since that time I have been hooked on many of the great names from the region. Just this past Saturday I poured a 2003 Morgenster Estate Red Blend (39% Cab Sav, 31% Cab Franc, 30% Merlot) and it was fabulous.

These experiences are why I brought up South Africa in an earlier thread as a major underrated wine region. I think the truth for lack of discussion is everyone wants to keep these gems (and fantastic pricing!) to themselves. [snort.gif]

Thanks for the note. I had a 2000 Paul Sauer two years ago that was very similar to your experience with the 2004 here. Really enjoyed it and, like Kevin, I wish it was easier to get here.

I agree that good Bordeaux varieties wines from South Africa are very good and excellent value. I’ve been drinking Constantia Glen Five (left bank type blend) and Three (right bank type blend) recently, and they’re so good. I’m always a fan of Rustenberg John X Merriman, too.

At their best, they combine Bordeaux style and complexity with some new world fruit, and at a price much lower than you’d get for something of the same quality in the USA and (usually) Bordeaux. There are some great values at $20-40 from Bordeaux, though, so I don’t want to sell those short.